Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kyle Valdock

Default Don't show Heading 1 number...but showing lower Heading numbers

I want to stucture my document so that my Level 1 heading doesn't 'show' a
number. The lower headings should follow a number scheme.

Introduction Top Level Heading
1.1 level 2 heading
1.2 level 2 heading
1.2.1 level 3

New Top Level Heading
2.1 level 2 heading
2.1.1 level 3

3rd Top Level Heading
3.1 etc

Is this impossible?

--
K. Valdock
Toronto, Canada
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not at all impossible. First of all, make sure you set up your outline
numbering according to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html to ensure
trouble-free operation. Apply 1, 2, 3 numbering to Level 1. Remove any
punctuation from the "Number format" box and set "Follow number with" to
"Nothing." Then click Font and check the box for Hidden. Although the
numbering of Level 1 will not appear (since it's hidden), it will be picked
up by subsequent levels.

But note that if you're using a number anywhere at the top level (which it
seems you reasonably should be; else where is the number concept coming
from?), then you should be using that style for Level 1. Note that the
number doesn't have to be in 1, 2, 3 format. It can be I, II, III or One,
Two, Three or whatever; this can still be picked up as 1, 2, 3 at Level 2
and beyond if you check the box for "Legal style numbering" at those levels.