Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zkid zkid is offline

Default Clipboard adding extra returns

Forgive me for cross-posting - this seemed to end up in the wrong forum last
time....

I've never seen this in my life. Help!!!

In just a regular Word doc, with normal as the style, I type two lines (just
20 or so characters long - yes I saw the MS article 256 charcters),
separated by a simple hard return. Then, I copy the text and paste it
elsewhere (also to just a standard normal style (singled spaced, no before or
after spacing, either in the current document or a clean new doc). Once
pasted, Word throws in an extra hard return wherever it encouters one. So
now,
there is one line, two hard returns, then the next line as follows:

Original text:

This is a test[Hrt]
This is the second line[Hrt]

Copied and pasted text becomes:

This is a test[Hrt]
[Hrt]
This is the second line[Hrt]
[Hrt]

If I type the text in the same location, there is no problem.

I blew out the normal template and forced Word to ceate a new one, but that
didn't make any difference.

I hope someone has seen and that I don't need to re-install Word!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

This has nothing to do with Word, so you don't need to re-install anything
:-) Whatever is happening is happening in the document itself.

Now: Word distinguishes between a hard return and a paragraph mark. Which
one are you using?

Turn on your non-printing characters (Show/Hide on your toolbar) so you can
see what it is you are actually copying.

Now go to ToolsOptionsEdit... What settings are you using for Smart
Copy/Paste?

Cheers

On 20/1/07 7:21 AM, in article
, "zkid"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zkid zkid is offline

Thanks for your response, Johh. However, I am a Word expert and I do know
how to use show/hide and what a paragraph mark is versus a soft return, hard
return, etc. Where I placed [Hrt] below represent a paragraph mark.

Trust me, there is something wrong with Word. I can do the same steps on
any other computer and not have a problem. I think somehow the clipboard is
corrupt. I'm just wondering if there is a registry setting or something I
should be checking on.

Original text:

This is a test[Hrt]
This is the second line[Hrt]

Copied and pasted text becomes:

This is a test[Hrt]
[Hrt]
This is the second line[Hrt]
[Hrt]

If I type the text in the same location, there is no problem.

Thanks.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi zkid

If you are getting different results in the same document on different
computers, each of which has the same version of Windows and Word, then we
can safely assume that the issue relates to either the settings on the
problem computer.

As John suggested, do Tools Options. On the Edit tab, click the "Settings"
button. Try your cut and paste with every possible combination of the
settings there.

Does that make a difference?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not
email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

I suggest that if you were indeed a Word "expert" you wouldn't be calling it
a hard return when you meant "Paragraph Mark", because you would understand
the significant difference. You might also have managed to mention your
Word version and revision level, because you would know that that
information can be very significant to this question.

From your description, Word is operating perfectly as designed. By all
means blow away your Word data key in the registry as described in the
Microsoft Knowledgebase. But I don't believe anything in there is involved
with this mechanism.

I am not sure whether you are seeing two sets of paragraph marks being
pasted or two sets of paragraph spacing. If it's line spacing, the
destination has either style or hard formatting with different line spacing.
Depending on your version of Word, that's treated differently on paste.

I would check the properties of the Styles in involved.

If you are using Word 2002, I would also investigate the possibility that
one of those paragraph marks is a style separator character.

To my way of thinking, this could be one of five things. In descending
order of probability, they a
* Style/direct formatting clash
* Corrupt document
* Style separators