MacGyverS2000

Default Heading numbers fail to display in Insert Cross-Reference dialog

Word 2003 SP1 on an XP machine...

When I select Insert-Reference-Cross-Reference from the main menu and
choose Headings, the headings list box is empty. Do I need to turn on/off
some function?

The heading styles in my document are slightly modified (different font
typeface and size), but other than that it's a standard numbered format. I
have highlighted each heading to make sure it is actually listed as a heading
in the style box (and not merely standard text).

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFjR3l2ZXJTMjAwMA==?=,

When I select Insert-Reference-Cross-Reference from the main menu and
choose Headings, the headings list box is empty. Do I need to turn on/off
some function?

The heading styles in my document are slightly modified (different font
typeface and size), but other than that it's a standard numbered format. I
have highlighted each heading to make sure it is actually listed as a heading
in the style box (and not merely standard text).

Are these heading styles ones you've created, new? Or are they the built-in ones
that come with Word?

If there's numbering defined in these styles, are they listed under "Numbered
item"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

MacGyverS2000

Nevermind...resolved. It seems there is a difference between a simple style
change (as was the case previously) and actually tying a new style to a
default heading style.

I started with Heading 1 and modified the on-screen text to suit my needs,
which created a new style (but this time based upon Heading 1). Once I tied
it to the Heading 1 style, I was able to successfully create a Table of
Contents.