Chris Z.

Default Moving Custom Auto Text From One Computer To Another

Hello:

A user whom I support has just received a new Windows XP Pro (with SP2)
computer with Office 2003. He has created some custom auto text entries that
are specific to his job function on his old computer that he would like to be
present on the new system.

How can I go about moving the custom auto text entries from one PC to
another without having to recreate each one? Any suggestions that you can
provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Chris Z.
IT Support Technician
J. D'Addario & Company, Inc.
Jay Freedman

Chris Z. wrote:
Hello:

A user whom I support has just received a new Windows XP Pro (with
SP2) computer with Office 2003. He has created some custom auto text
entries that are specific to his job function on his old computer
that he would like to be present on the new system.

How can I go about moving the custom auto text entries from one PC to
another without having to recreate each one? Any suggestions that
you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Chris Z.
IT Support Technician
J. D'Addario & Company, Inc.

AutoText entries are all stored in templates -- in Normal.dot, unless you've
specifically chosen a different template in the "Look in" box of the
AutoText dialog.

The procedure usually recommended is to create a new blank template. Use the
Organizer (Tools Templates & Add-ins Organizer) to copy the autotext
entries from Normal.dot to the new template. Then transfer the new template
to the other computer, storing it in Word's Startup folder (as specified in
Tools Options File Locations) so it becomes a global template, available
to all documents.

An alternative is to download the Autotextdumper and Autotextloader
templates from http://jay-freedman.info. Autotextdumper contains a macro
that dumps the autotext entries from your current template into a document.
Transfer the document to the other computer, and use the macro in
Autotextloader to load them into Normal.dot there.

Here are a few more references that explain the concepts:
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/custom...n/AutoText.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

--