Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default Insert Reference Cross Reference

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Modify the Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink styles as described
in
.. In Word, if you click on Help and search for "format
hyperlink" (without quotes), then you will find the exact same
information there. It's amazing what the Help files contain...
like answers to all of your too-numerous-to-count questions here.
Try it sometime and you might like it.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

First of all, I don't have a clue of what you meant by "all of your
too-numerous-to-count questions here." This is my **sixth** thread ever
since I have subscribed to this Word forum. I have a habit of using F1 and
Google before I post.

As far as I am concerned, none of my previous questions could be answered by
reading help. Did you just look at the header or the contents of my posts
before you stated the fact that my questions could have been resolved by
using help?

Regarding the most recent question on hyperlink, I didn't feel that my
question was answered by your pointing me to the assistance link. I know
how to do format. I am curious why checking the "insert as hpyerlink" box
doesn't cause the text to display as a hyperlink and wonder if I have missed
some **settings**. Of course, I know I can format manually.

I am very disappointed with your **unfair** comments. Every forum has its
own culture and I guess some are more friendly than others. I am sorry that
I posted at the **wrong** time.

For the record, I do believe that posters should try to find answers by
checking help or doing a web search before they post. MVP's should spend
their time on the complicated and tricky questions especially when they are
volunteers. This is why I quote from "help" as much as I can when I answer
some posts hoping to send out the message.

Epinn

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there

is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was referring to your combined 360+ posts in the Word, Excel,
Powerpoint, and Outlook newsgroups (yes, I read other newsgroups
besides this one). I agree with you about you not having a clue
and about the fact that your questions could have been resolved
by using Help. If you really do know how to use the F1 key, then
you wouldn't have to ask how to remove a word from the custom.dic
file, or how to use the Count and Sumproduct functions in Excel,
etc.

The "Insert as hyperlink" box *does* cause the text to display as
a hyperlink as defined by the Hyperlink style... you just don't
like the way the hyperlink is displayed, and for that problem you
need to modify the Hyperlink style. You would know this if you
bothered to read the Help article I cited in my reply, or if you
used F1 or Google before you posted.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there

is no

way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It just dawned on me what you were asking... it would have been
better if you had put your whole question in this big white space
provided for that purpose, instead of half of the question in the
subject line (which I originally missed) and the other half down
here (which is out of context when the subject line is ignored).
When you insert a cross-reference, you insert a REF field,
which unlike a normal hyperlink is not affected by the Hyperlink
style. You can make fields such as REF fields visible on screen
by clicking on Tools | Options | View | Field shading: Always |
OK. Shaded isn't quite the same as blue and underlined, but you
should still be able to distinguish them from regular text.
Alternatively, you can manually format each cross-reference as
blue and underlined or use Edit-ReplaceAll to search for REF
fields and replace with FindWhatText+Blue+Underline.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Re the replace suggestion, from
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...#AlphaEndnotes

"you can use Find & Replace to format all the cross-reference fields. To do
so, go to EditFind. Click More in the dialog. Enter ^19 REF in the Find
box. Put your cursor in the Replace field, then click on the Format
drop-down menu in the dialog, select Font, and apply the formatting you want
to the empty Replace box."

Someone once went off on me for redundancy between my first line and subject
line, but I also have a tendency not to read subjects *with* the message.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

I understand when one is on the net or newsgroups, one doesn't have much
"privacy." However, I don't think, it is appropriate to advertise another
poster's behavior or profile **explicitly** regardless of whether you are
trying to make a point. There is no absolute right or wrong here, but
sensitivity and courtesy is called for. Is "etiquette" the right word here?

You wrote: "If you really do know how to use the F1 key, then
you wouldn't have to ask how to remove a word from the custom.dic
file, or how to use the Count and Sumproduct functions in Excel,
etc."

If you have read my posts under COUNT and SUMPRODUCT in detail. You would
have noted that my posts were a result of using F1 and help. For COUNT, I
didn't understand the example used in help and I needed clarification. For
SUMPRODUCT, I found that the example given by one MVP in another poster's
thread was very different from the help and would like to understand it
better. Therefore I posted to request someone to point me to some tutorial.
I didn't expect a lecture. However, some good people do exist and I have a
very good teacher, Ken, and I thank him from the bottom of my heart.
Regarding CUSTOM.DIC, I did post an answer to the first part of my own post
as soon as I posted. According to one MVP, there is this "natural law" that
one may find the answer right after posting.

I want to highlight your comment "If you really do know how to use the F1
key ......" This is a good point. Some posters may have a problem using F1
key and for me I need clarification regardless of whether I don't understand
something in help or there is an error in help. For the record, I did find
an error in help. For situations like this, I don't see anything wrong for
people to come to the forum for help. If I have not mistaken, the purpose
of Microsoft's MVP program is to help people use the software (which can
indirectly impact the revenue positively.) When I purchase a product
especially software, support is my number one consideration. If everyone
goes off somewhere else to solve their problems, then the forums won't be
alive.

As you are aware most of my posts are for another newsgroup which you may
read but not **support**. If someone wants to complain about my volume or
anything about my behavior, it should be from that group. I have got a lot
of friendly and smart support from the MVP's in that group. I have got
feedback like "You are a welcome change or it's a great pleasure to have
you." and I feel welcome. If not, I would not have done what I did. I
guess some MVP's encourage learning which in turn supports Microsoft's
mandate while a few may not be as sensitive which can lead to users feeling
intimidated.

Every MVP on all the forums you mentioned uses his/her real full name. I
don't think garfield-n-odie is your real name. I wonder why an MVP
legitimately recognized by Microsoft won't use his/her real name!!

I am very disappointed and upset that I have to justify myself in our **very
first** encounter. However, when I found out how you talked to another user
previously, I didn't feel so bad. Please feel free **not** to answer my
posts including this one in the future if it involves my personal profile
being disclosed explicitly or my behavior being judged openly.

Epinn

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there

is no

way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Hi Daiya,

Thank you for stepping in and helping out. Believe it or not, this is
probably the first and only time I have not repeated the subject of the post
in the body of the message. I had never run into a problem before. Thanks
for letting me know that not everybody reads the subject etc. and I'll make
a point to include it in the body.

Regarding the formatting of the reference field, I followed the instructions
in the link to the dot and still couldn't get it working. It took me a
while to figure out what was missing.

Unlike ^p which does not require show/hide to be on, ^19 only works when
field codes are **visible**.

It will be nice if something similar to the following is included as part of
the instruction in the link.

"If you're searching for fields, you must display field codes. To switch
between displaying field codes and field results, click the field, and press
SHIFT+F9. To show or hide field codes for all fields in the document, press
ALT+F9."

Finally, I got it working.

Thank you for your attention.

Epinn

.. .

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there

is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

True, and I agree to a certain extent. Seeing that ^p is an exception (i.e.
Word doesn't have to see it), I have to go and find out what other
exceptions exist.

By the way, Suzanne, I have learned that you are the #1 contributor to the
forum. Congratulations! I admire people who volunteer their time and help
others, especially someone as dedicated as you are.

Thank you for making a difference. Much appreciated.

Epinn

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not

blue
in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. And thanks.

"Epinn" wrote in message
True, and I agree to a certain extent. Seeing that ^p is an exception

(i.e.
Word doesn't have to see it), I have to go and find out what other
exceptions exist.

By the way, Suzanne, I have learned that you are the #1 contributor to the
forum. Congratulations! I admire people who volunteer their time and

help
others, especially someone as dedicated as you are.

Thank you for making a difference. Much appreciated.

Epinn

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think it's safe to assume that if you can't see it, Word can't,

either.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not

blue
in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So sorry about that! I'll try to get the article updated soon. I actually
read another message right about that time (not sure if it was GnO's on this
thread) that made me think that might be a problem, but I forgot to post a
PS.

Amazingly, though I skim the subject line to see what I need to bother
reading, I have often completely forgotten it in the millisecond of
switching to read the actual message. It all depends on how individual
brains work, so there's never going to be one good answer. I figure on
newsgroups, redundancy is always the safest way.

I think Word also treats hidden text like fields--e.g., I think it Word
Counts hidden text if visible, not if not visible. This has thrown me off
as well.

Daiya

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However, there

is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Daiya,

Thank you for being kind and action oriented. Your link pointed me to the
right direction and that was more important. A little experiment trained my
brain to be more flexible.

Amazingly, though I skim the subject line to see what I need to bother
reading, I have often completely forgotten it in the millisecond of
switching to read the actual message.

Yes, this is what I think - MVP's will look at subject lines to determine
what to answer. But the second part of your sentence is true as well. I do
that myself too. I should do my best to make the MVP's job easier and I'll
remember to repeat the subject in the body.

Regarding Word counting hidden text, I "feel" confused just reading about
it. I'll worry about it another day. Thanks for point it out and I
shall keep that in mind.

With another software, one MVP wrote a book on "annoyances." Do you know of
any URL for Word addressing this issue? Just curious.

Thank you.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue

in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My problem is that I *don't* usually look at subject lines, since I read
*every* post! But I agree that it's weird that even when you do look at the
subject line, you can forget it in the split second the message takes to
open.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not blue

in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

I totally understand your situation. That's why you are #1. I wonder what
your secret is (i.e. to be this dedicated) as I know this is not your only
forum. Maybe one day I'll read your book. I shall shut up now.

Epinn

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not

blue
in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wonder what
your secret is (i.e. to be this dedicated) as I know this is not your only
forum.

I have no life?

forum. Maybe one day I'll read your book.

Maybe someday I'll write a book!

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not

blue
in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 9/5/06 8:53 AM, "Epinn" wrote:

With another software, one MVP wrote a book on "annoyances." Do you know of
any URL for Word addressing this issue? Just curious.

Not exactly....90% of the most common annoyances can be controlled via Tools
| Options and Tools | AutoCorrect, but the rest vary so much from person to
person....

Here's a dictionary-length and dictionary-style compilation of notes on
controlling Word:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/Bend/BendWordToYourWill.html
Written for MacWord, but all or most of the principles cross over.

Otherwise, post or search for your annoyances--chances are, if it annoyed
other people, it's been discussed out there.

http://word.mvps.org/index.html

And thanks for your kind words.

Daiya