Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Neil Neil is offline

Default Linking Excel data into pre-existing Word tables

I can select Excel cells A1:A3, copy. I can then select 3 cells in an
already existing
table in Word, then paste the text; the data from each Excel cell is
distributed into
each Word table element. Great!

However, if I try to do the same thing with Paste Special, it won't use the
pre-existing Word table. Instead, it creates it's own table, then puts that
into
the 1st Word table element that has been selected. Is there a way to get
Paste
Special to work like Paste? I need to put links into the existing Word
tables,
and right now, it looks like the only way to do this is to copy and Paste
Special
each cell individually. I've got dozens of tables with thousands of cells;
not a pleasant prospect.

If this cannot be done on Office 2003 apps, can it be done on Office 2007?
If so, then that's a good reason for me to go out and buy it.
TIA for any tips/techniques from the experts out there.
--
Neil