NP

Default do i save the document template or not (urgent)

Hi there
I'm trying to finish my phd thesis and currently have it set up as a
master/subdocument (i know there are probs with this but it is too late to
change that!) based on a template i created (all using the same template). I
have made the final edits and am printing out, but when i save it is is now
asking if i want to save changes to the document template as well. i dont
know whether to or not. Clearly as i made the final edits I did something
which affected the template but i dont know what... I basically want to save
it the way it is right now and I'm nervous that if i say no to saving the
changes then when i open it again I'll have lost some of the formatting etc,
but equally I'm worried if I do save the changes then maybe when I reopen it
will apply those changes throughout the document.. or maybe it doens't
matter?!?!
i really need some advice as i need to close it so i can get the thesis to
the binders but at the moment I cant do anything cos I dont know whether to
save or not
thanks!
yours
Nancy
Daiya Mitchell

You should be fine to save the document template. Say you redefined a
style, and checked the "add to template" box in the Modify Style dialog.
Word is just asking you to confirm that you really want that change to the
style to be kept, so that the next time you generate a doc from that
template, it will use the updated style definition. Regardless, the answer
should not affect the existing document.

Re master/sub--back up frequently, and don't edit subdocuments while you are
in the master.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

NP

thanks!
I've been backing up religiously - am paranoid its going to corrupt but
thankfully its ok so far
cheers
Nancy