Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PoetsOnMars

Default Word XP crashes PC when printing to fax

Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Is this something that has always happened or has it started happening
recently?

Peter Jamieson
"PoetsOnMars" wrote in message
Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PoetsOnMars

This a recent problem. First time I noticed it was a month or so ago, but
thought it was just a glitch the 1st few times ... but its every time I try
to fax.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Is this something that has always happened or has it started happening
recently?

Peter Jamieson
"PoetsOnMars" wrote in message
Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PoetsOnMars

Default Word XP crashes PC when printing to fax: PS

PS: have run AV & spyware scans & do not use Norton -- I know there was a
problem like this related to Norton: PC is clean.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Is this something that has always happened or has it started happening
recently?

Peter Jamieson
"PoetsOnMars" wrote in message
Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Clearly something has changed, and the first thing to note is that some
recent updates seem to have caused a lot of problems with Word. Although
that's not necessarily the problem in this case, if you are using automatic
updates or occasionally donwload updates, it is worth having a look at
Control Panel|Add or Remove Programs (you can check a box at the top to see
"updates" as well as the main software components) and see if anything was
applied around the time you started seeing the problem.

In this case I would start with the assumption that it has nothing to do
with Word (because it seems more like a problem in the print or fax
subsystem) and try faxing from other programs. Maybe you have already done
that, and isolated Word as the problem?

If it is definitely to do with Word, I would look for recent Word-related
updates or changes and consider uninstalling them, but also consider the
possibility that the Normal template or data key had been corrupted - see

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

for more info. on that, even though the article does not describe your
problem.

If it does not appear to be specific to Word, I would look for
Windows-related updates and consider uninstalling them, but also have a good
look around the settings in the Fax Console. I'm not sure what for, exactly,
but for "anything out of plcae" Here, I would consider
uninstalling/re-installing the Fax support via Control Panel|Add or Remove
Programs|Add/Remove Windows Components

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Is this something that has always happened or has it started happening
recently?

Peter Jamieson
"PoetsOnMars" wrote in message
Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots,
fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jacqui

sorry not offering solution but I have same or similar problem. If you found
a fix could you please post. thanks

"PoetsOnMars" wrote:

Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

It may not help (and it certainly does not provide a magic fix!) but did you
see my earlier response, which assumes that something has changed recently:

-------------------------------------

"PoetsOnMars" wrote:

Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jacqui

Don't think problem is Word related, but looked for any updates - nothing
found. I have already un then reinstalled fax via add/remove programs a few
days ago but this did not solve the problem.

Could I try removing all updates from last month or so then re-install them
one at a time. Or would I be better using system restore?

"PoetsOnMars" wrote:

Every time I print to fax from MS Word XP running on Win-XP SP-2 Word
freezes
and I have to reboot my PC to recover. As soon as the system reboots, fax
kicks in and sends the document without a problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

When you look at the list of software in Control PanelAdd or remove
programs, be sure to check the "Show updates" box.

Could I try removing all updates from last month or so then re-install
them
one at a time.

Or would I be better using system restore?

I would probably try both those things here, but I do have a reliable set of
backups to recover from if something goes wrong.

In this case I would also consider submitting a support incident via the
e-mail support facility you can reach via http://support.microsoft.com. I
think you get a couple of incidents "free" but have not used that route for
a while.

Peter Jamieson
news