Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tony Tony is offline

Default Splitting Merge to a printer

Hi there,
I am wanting to do a mail merge direct to the copier and have each record
split into 'sections' so I can utilise the printer's finishing features.
I have a 4 page merge which I want double sided and stapled. Only problem is
that when you have 400 records you end up with a 1600 page document which you
have to hand staple. I want to treat each record as its own document and
apply finishing features to each record and end up with 400 stapled sets. I
think maybe a macro will do this but I can't seem to find such a thing to
actually work. Word version is 2002 SP3 (or 2003 SP1 on another machine).
Anybody who can help will be greatfully appreciated!!

Thankyou heaps
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can try the following VBA, but if you are trying to do anything like
"get the paper for different parts of each document from different paper
bins" then something more is likely to be needed:

Sub PrintOneDocPerSourceRec()
Dim intSourceRecord
Dim objMerge As Word.MailMerge
'Dim strOutputDocumentName As String
Dim TerminateMerge As Boolean

' Need to set up this object as the ActiveDocument changes when the
' merge is performed. Besides, it's clearer.

Set objMerge = ActiveDocument.MailMerge
With objMerge

' If no data source has been defined, do it here using OpenDataSource.
' But if it is already defined in the document, you should not need
' to define it here.

' .OpenDataSource _
' Name:="whatever"

intSourceRecord = 1
TerminateMerge = False

Do Until TerminateMerge
.DataSource.ActiveRecord = intSourceRecord

' if we have gone past the end (and possibly, if there are no records)
' then the Activerecord will not be what we have just tried to set it to

If .DataSource.ActiveRecord intSourceRecord Then
TerminateMerge = True
' the record exists
Else

.DataSource.FirstRecord = intSourceRecord
.DataSource.LastRecord = intSourceRecord
.Destination = wdSendToPrinter
.Execute

intSourceRecord = intSourceRecord + 1
End If
Loop
End With
End Sub

If you haven't used Word VBA Macros before, see

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

As for "applying finishing features to each document," the above macro
obviously assumes that everything you need can be set in the printer driver
and is the same for each document.

Peter Jamieson

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi there,
I am wanting to do a mail merge direct to the copier and have each record
split into 'sections' so I can utilise the printer's finishing features.
I have a 4 page merge which I want double sided and stapled. Only problem
is
that when you have 400 records you end up with a 1600 page document which
you
have to hand staple. I want to treat each record as its own document and
apply finishing features to each record and end up with 400 stapled sets.
think maybe a macro will do this but I can't seem to find such a thing to
actually work. Word version is 2002 SP3 (or 2003 SP1 on another machine).
Anybody who can help will be greatfully appreciated!!

Thankyou heaps

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Execute the merge to a new document and then run a macro containing the
following commands when that document is the Active Document. Each letter
will then be sent to the printer as a separate print job:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count
.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi there,
I am wanting to do a mail merge direct to the copier and have each record
split into 'sections' so I can utilise the printer's finishing features.
I have a 4 page merge which I want double sided and stapled. Only problem
is
that when you have 400 records you end up with a 1600 page document which
you
have to hand staple. I want to treat each record as its own document and
apply finishing features to each record and end up with 400 stapled sets.
think maybe a macro will do this but I can't seem to find such a thing to
actually work. Word version is 2002 SP3 (or 2003 SP1 on another machine).
Anybody who can help will be greatfully appreciated!!

Thankyou heaps

A Merge letter requiring one or more different different mege letters depending on entry in fields rjr Microsoft Word Help 1 May 21st 06 05:16 PM
merge to fax mlqld Mailmerge 1 April 4th 05 08:40 AM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
Can you create a multi-layered merge where certain merge fields a. mileszat Mailmerge 3 January 18th 05 03:46 AM