Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Philip L Jackson Philip L Jackson is offline

Default Which is the best/fastest Mail Merge Data Source

All

For speed which is the best Mail Merge Data Source to use?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is happiest with a Word table as data source, but that has limitations
on the number of columns available for fields.

Philip L Jackson wrote:
All

For speed which is the best Mail Merge Data Source to use?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Philip L Jackson Philip L Jackson is offline

Thanks for this

I was however primarily interested in datasource such as foxPro, csv files
and other external databases.

sorry I did not make myself clear

Philip L Jackson

Philip L Jackson wrote:
All

For speed which is the best Mail Merge Data Source to use?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2002/2003, when you first establish a connection, it can take quite
a long time whatever the data source (from what I have seen I suspect that
this is because of the support for excluding/including individual records).
I /believe/ that connection to OLEDB/ODBC type data sources is probably
fastest. I doubt if it makes much difference what the specific backend is
(FoxPro, Access, SQl Server etc.), as fetching the records is rarely the
slowest link in the chain). Probably the best thing to do is try the same
data loaded into your candidate databases/formats - it doesn't usually take
long to import/export from one DBMS to another.

Peter Jamieson
"Philip L Jackson" wrote in
message ...