Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Footer Question

I want a special footer (containing information about the document itself,
such as path name, last saved, etc.) to appear on the first page only of my
Word 2003 document, and just page numbers on the subsequent pages. That's
pretty easy. But when I make section breaks that darned page 1 footer
reappears on page 1 of every section. How can I restrict my page 1 footer
to page 1 of my document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Joe McGuire wrote:
I want a special footer (containing information about the document
itself, such as path name, last saved, etc.) to appear on the first
page only of my Word 2003 document, and just page numbers on the
subsequent pages. That's pretty easy. But when I make section
breaks that darned page 1 footer reappears on page 1 of every
section. How can I restrict my page 1 footer to page 1 of my
document?

There are two ways to do this.

The better one is to select all the sections _except_ section 1; then go to
File Page Setup Layout and uncheck the "Different first page" box. Make
sure the "Apply to" box says "Selected sections" and click OK. I'm assuming
that you originally checked the box when the document was just one section;
as you created more sections, they inherited that setting, but they don't
have to keep it. Once you've done this fix, you won't have any more trouble
when you add new sections to the end of the document.

The inferior alternative is to go into the first-page footer of section 2;
click the "Same As Previous" button on the Header/Footer toolbar to turn it
off; and replace the special text with just the page number. Since "Same As
Previous" will still be turned on in sections 3 and following, they'll be
changed automatically. Still, it's a poor idea to have a "Different first
page" in sections where it isn't wanted -- someday it will come back to bite
you, for instance if you add something to the ordinary footers and it
doesn't show up in the first-page footers.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Header/Footer Question Dee Page Layout 1 November 21st 07 04:04 AM
Header and footer question Huwpla Page Layout 3 February 2nd 07 08:34 AM
Header Footer question dimitri Page Layout 3 August 14th 06 04:52 PM
footer question dlb1228 Microsoft Word Help 4 January 23rd 06 10:06 PM
Footer question Sandi D Microsoft Word Help 1 December 13th 05 11:35 PM