Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Spanish keyboard in Word 2002 running in Windows Vista Home Pr

I don't have access to Vista at present so cannot comment on its
configuration, but the fact remains that this is an issue of key mapping
relating to the keyboard configuration used by Windows. For some reason
Windows is not recognising your instruction to use a Spanish keyboard.

Your best plan is to ask the question why this should (not) be happening in
A Windows Vista forum. The issue is not attributable to Word.

Harriet wrote:
Dear Graham, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond again.
I believe I activated the Spanish and Italian (as well as English)
keyboards in Windows Vista Home Premium by going to the Control Panel
and clicking on Change Keyboards and adding Italian and Spanish.
In Word I can switch between the languages by pressing ALT + Left
SHIFT.
The different languages do show up in the Tool bar on the bottom of
the page. I believe it is the Word tool bar. When I was running Word
with Windows XP the key marked ; on the English pattern keyboard did
produce an ñ, however in Windows Vista it just produces the ;
I was running the same version of Word under XP and Vista, so the
only thing different is the operating system (and computer actually -
but I don't think that is relevant).
Yesterday I upgraded to "Office Home and Student 2007". The
situation with the keyboard didn't change. Thanks again for your
time. Harriet Hahn

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you have a Spanish keyboard configured and active in Windows
regional settings, the character is available from the key marked ;
on the English pattern keyboard. If you are still getting ; then you
are not actively using the Spanish keyboard mapping. This fact
should be indicated by the language setting on the language toolbar
in Windows. The default shortcut for switching between keyboards is
ALT + Left SHIFT.

Harriet wrote:
Thank you, that is what I did. The question is "is there some other
way to produce an "ñ" on the Spanish keyboard, other than what I
described in my initial post"? Harriet

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Setup a Spanish keyboard in Windows.

Harriet wrote:
To produce an "ñ" I have to type "~" followed by "n". Is there
another way to produce this character? When running Word 2002
with Windows XP the "ñ" was on the ";" key - much faster and
easier to type! Thanks for the help - Harriet