Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Adams[_2_] Pat Adams[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 Find & Replace: Where is it documented?

Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work. Can
anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed explanations for
this and other new features in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

From trying it, it works like this. If you check the Match prefix box and
enter "pre" in the Find What control and "post" in the Replace with control,
"preterm" will be replaced by "postterm"

It needs to be used with caution however, because it changes "pretend" to
"posttend"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

Pat, the best detailed explanations for all features of Word are found by
pressing the F1 (Help) key on your keyboard. In this instance, when the Word
Help dialog box opens, search on (what else) "Find and replace" (without the
quotes). The F1 key has never broken anything!
"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Charles, that would generally be good advice, except that the Help topic doesn't
explain the specific settings that Pat asked about.

This is one of those cases where -- eventually -- the Office Online offerings
will cover more than the in-the-box help does. It isn't there yet.

"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Adams[_2_] Pat Adams[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Jay. After I posted my question, I clicked around a bit and found
that there are a number of features in Word 2007 that don't have context
sensitive help. Even worse, I couldn't find anything when I searched on

"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix
and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are you set up with an always on Internet connection? Have you got Help
setup to use the 'Content from Office On Line'?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix
and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Adams[_2_] Pat Adams[_2_] is offline

Yes, Terry. I do have Help set up to use Content from Office On Line. I also
changed to Help On My Computer to see if I could get help on Match Prefix,
Match Suffix.

wrote:

Pat, the best detailed explanations for all features of Word are found
by
pressing the F1 (Help) key on your keyboard. In this instance, when the
Word
Help dialog box opens, search on (what else) "Find and replace" (without
the
quotes). The F1 key has never broken anything!
"Pat Adams" wrote in message
.. .
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix
and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings
work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've checked and have the same negative results here too. We will just have
to wait until MS get their act together and get the on line contents
updated. There are many gaping holes.

Terry

wrote:

Pat, the best detailed explanations for all features of Word are found
by
pressing the F1 (Help) key on your keyboard. In this instance, when the
Word
Help dialog box opens, search on (what else) "Find and replace"
(without the
quotes). The F1 key has never broken anything!
"Pat Adams" wrote in message
. ..
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix
and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings
work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

F7 (where it always is in any Office App). It is also on the Message Ribbon
at the right hand end.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Pat Adams" wrote in message
Word 2007's Find and Replace dialogs have checkboxes for match prefix
and
match suffix. I can't find anything that shows how these settings work.
Can anyone recommend reference materials that provide detailed
explanations for this and other new features in Word?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Suzanne

Crazily, I did mean F7... but somehow I replied to this message instead of
the questioner who wanted to know where the spell check was in Outlook. How
I ended up answering the wrong thread will remain a mystery.

Terry

wrote:

Pat, the best detailed explanations for all features of Word are found
by
pressing the F1 (Help) key on your keyboard. In this instance, when the
Word
Help dialog box opens, search on (what else) "Find and replace"
(without the
quotes). The F1 key has never broken anything!
. ..