Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A-non-i-moose A-non-i-moose is offline

Default I am about to give up on Word 2007

New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the inside
address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit the
enter key at the end of the first address line, it DOUBLE-SPACES; ditto for
the second line.

How to I make this goddam thing stop double spacing when I hit enter at the
end of a line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Go ahead and give up. No one here twisted your arm to give up Word 2003,
which you were apparently quite happy with, for Word 2007.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that your issue is due to the
paragraph style that you are using for your address lines. If you are using
the out of the box Normal style then it has "spacing" after set in the style
definition. You could define your own style, use the built-in no spacing
style or use CTRL+Enter at the end of those lines to insert a line break.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Go ahead and give up. No one here twisted your arm to give up Word 2003,
which you were apparently quite happy with, for Word 2007.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that your issue is due to the
paragraph style that you are using for your address lines. If you are
using the out of the box Normal style then it has "spacing" after set in
the style definition. You could define your own style, use the built-in
no spacing style or use CTRL+Enter at the end of those lines to insert a
line break.

Thank you. I see what you are talking about -- at the top of the page are
several styles, one of which has no spacing.

A-non-i-moose wrote:
New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the
inside address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit
the enter key at the end of the first address line, it DOUBLE-SPACES;
ditto for the second line.

How to I make this goddam thing stop double spacing when I hit enter
at the end of a line?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make that Shift+Enter for a new line. Ctrl+Enter will give you a new page.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

A-non-i-moose wrote:
New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the
inside address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit
the enter key at the end of the first address line, it DOUBLE-SPACES;
ditto for the second line.

How to I make this goddam thing stop double spacing when I hit enter
at the end of a line?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"A-non-i-moose" wrote in message
New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the inside
address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit the
enter key at the end of the first address line, it DOUBLE-SPACES; ditto
for the second line.

Open a new blank document. On the Home Tab, click on the little arrow to
the bottom right of the Styles block. At the bottom of the dialog box, click
on the right-hand icon - "Manage Styles". Highlight "Normal" (if it's not
the top one) and click on "Modify". Change the line spacing to single. Check
the box "for all new documents based on this template". OK out. Close and
re-start Word. Your line spacing should now be single.

HTH

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Doug,

Thanks for the backup.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Make that Shift+Enter for a new line. Ctrl+Enter will give you a new
page.

"Greg Maxey" wrote in
message ...

A-non-i-moose wrote:
New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the
inside address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit
the enter key at the end of the first address line, it
DOUBLE-SPACES; ditto for the second line.

How to I make this goddam thing stop double spacing when I hit enter
at the end of a line?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It is truly maddening€”the worst "feature" of W2007, and I really like W2007.

But it's relatively easy to get rid of it in the immediate document. On the
Home ribbon, styles group, click change style button style sets Word
2003. That should do it for that document. YOu could also use a style
called Normal no space instead of normal.

A longer term fix is to modify normal.dotm. If you do get past the early
shock of W2007 and decide to stick with it, write back for advice on the
next step.

PamC

A-non-i-moose wrote:
New user. I am very experienced on Word 2003.

I am trying to type a letter with and inside address. I want the inside
address to look like this:

first line of address
second line of address
third line of address

Dear Sir:

Note that the address lines are single-spaced. However, when I hit the
enter key at the end of the first address line, it DOUBLE-SPACES; ditto for
the second line.

How to I make this goddam thing stop double spacing when I hit enter at the
end of a line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message

A longer term fix is to modify normal.dotm. If you do get past the early
shock of W2007 and decide to stick with it, write back for advice on the
next step.

I've already posted it......

--
Asking a question?