Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Neve Dave Neve is offline

Default 2007 Compatibility tests with Office 2003

Hello

I have Office 2003 and I have installed the Microsoft Office for
2007Compatibility Tool which appears in the 'add/delete Programmes' Window
(so it looks as if it has installed)

I then went to Microsoft to get two samples of the new documents

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...33&av=Z WD000

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...33&av=Z XL000

There are now two problems.

1 When I extract from one of the files, I only get a txt document

2 The Excel file extracts ok but Excel (2003) says it doesn't recognize
it. When I open it anyway, it has nonsense characters

Any ideas why my system doesn't seem to be reading these new files?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dave,

Since you don't have Office 2007 on your system I'm assuming you were led to the page titled

"Microsoft Office Word 2007 was not found"

to allow 'manual download' page for the first item and you should have been given the chance to download a .CAB file that you then
extracted?

Unfortunately while the Office 2007 compatability pack does support the new format .docx and .docm file types for Word 2007, it does
not include support for templates save in .dotx or .dotm formats. The location you used to acquire the file is the Office template
site. (http://office.microsoft.com/templates) If, in Word, you turn on
[x] Confirm Conversion at Open in Tools=Options=General
and then try to open the .dotx file you will see that Word only sees the document as 'encoded text'. If you then scroll down to one
of the 'Word 2007' choices you may get a message that says that you are using a pre-release version of the file converter pack
(sigh).

On the Excel template, it looks like you hit what may be a damaged one g. Thet "Project Status Report" appears to be a pre-(Office
2007) release product, as it does not open in the release version of Excel 2007. There are a number of template files that were put
on the online template site during the beta. The update of these should be completed by the end of January.

For testing purposes, you may want to try the
Excel 2007 Persoanal Budget template at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...885141033.aspx
which opened for me in Excel 2000 and Excel 2003 using the converter pack.

For a Word document you may want to try one of the sample "Euro Look" .docx Sample files (zipped) at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=169337

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Neve Dave Neve is offline

Thanks Bob

You seem to have an idea of what happened to me. I'll try to check out your
links this weekend.

Thanks
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com a écrit
dans le message de news: ...