Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boca Boca is offline

Default Avoid New Styles being added by Word

Hi there,

I finally decided to take the bull by the horns (Word is the bull). I
created a template in Word 2007 following the great MVP document...
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

However, even if my document is pure with 100% defined styles, when I edit
NEW styles show up.

For example, when I have a new paragraph with the "Normal" style and press
the backspace (to get rid of the paragraph) the paragraph changes from Normal
style (which is indented by 0.5 inches) to a style called "Left: 0``".

Also, as suggested in another thread, I avoid using page breaks as much as
possible. But when I do, the paragraph with the page break has a style of
"Left 0'': Befo 0 pt".

I imagine there are other combinations that cause the document to have
"impure" styles.

My question is, what tricks are there to avoid or mitigate this unwanted
behavior?

Thanks for your help!

Jean-Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

These are not really styles, just "formatting." I'm not sure where the
setting is in Word 2007 (somewhere in the morass of options accessed by
Office Button | Word Options, presumably), but in Word 2003, you clear the
text box for "Keep track of formatting" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options
to stop Word from displaying these pseudo-styles.

"Boca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boca Boca is offline

Dear Suzanne,

thanks for your reply.

De-selecting the "Keep track of formatting" does not help because the Styles
Window now shows all possible styles instead of the configured "In Use"
styles. This is not good because displaying the styles in use is actually
the troubleshooting tool I use to ensure only the styles I created are being
used.

I still do not find a good solution.

Regarding the break issue one forum thread suggests making a special style
with a "break before". So, I made the "Normal-with-Break-Before" style. But
it looked a little awkward because many times the next content is a
"Heading-2", a "Heading 3", a table or an image. I prefer not writing an
additional style for each style I may have. This thread is...

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

I also followed your suggestions on the same thread to

Another (and better) solution is to avoid manual page breaks by using a
combination of "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" to force the
heading and its following text onto the next page naturally.

which helped (but only mitigated) the issue.

Then, you suggested on a different thread to go to every paragraph on the
seems like a lot of work. This thread is...
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

It seems that Microsoft did not fix this issue from Word 2003 to 2007.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Jean-Marc

Boca wrote:
Regarding the break issue one forum thread suggests making a special style
with a "break before". So, I made the "Normal-with-Break-Before" style. But
it looked a little awkward because many times the next content is a
"Heading-2", a "Heading 3", a table or an image. I prefer not writing an
additional style for each style I may have. This thread is...

you either make the "Page Break Before" property of the style itself, so
that _each_ Heading 1 (or H2) starts at a new page.

Or you want to use this property sparingly only at selected places in
the document. Then I would not make it part of the style definition at
all (and you certainly do _not_ want to have two styles for your level 2
headings, one w/ and the other w/o the property). IOW, you force the
property as direct formatting to those heading paragraphs you choose.
That's something you want to do with the final pagination work, not before.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS