Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

Default Char Behind Style Name

Why does Word sometimes add the letters "Char" behind a style after I've
used it in a document? Example: I'm using a style named silly,s. After I
use it for awhile it now displays as silly, s, char. What causes that and
how can I avoid it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy Anne Troy is offline

Word is creating a new style for you (yuk!). It is creating a character style
based on your paragraph style.
See these articles for more information:
Article to make Word STOP creating styles for you...
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...oft_wor d.htm
Article on understanding styles...
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...oft_word.ht m

--
~Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"A DeLew" wrote:

Why does Word sometimes add the letters "Char" behind a style after I've
used it in a document? Example: I'm using a style named silly,s. After I
use it for awhile it now displays as silly, s, char. What causes that and
how can I avoid it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

In Word 2007, check "Disable Linked Styles" at the bottom of the styles
pane.
I'd very, very much recommend that every user does that. It should be the
default, but that fight was probably lost in the Beta.

In Word 2002/2003, you don't have much of a chance to avoid them. Just about
every Word document will contain Char styles, though the'll usually be
hidden from you.
You only see them in certain circumstances, such as when the document has
been saved in an older version.

Regards,
Klaus

"A DeLew" wrote:

Why does Word sometimes add the letters "Char" behind a style after I've
used it in a document? Example: I'm using a style named silly,s. After
use it for awhile it now displays as silly, s, char. What causes that
and
how can I avoid it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've been looking at the Char styles in documents created at work. It seems
that most of them stem from not selecting a complete paragraph when applying
a paragraph style when more than one paragraph is being updated.

A simple example is that if the user wants to format a normal style single
paragraph, with the cursor anywhere in the paragraph, they click on the
style button and it updates. If there is more than one paragraph, they make
a selection that includes parts of both paragraphs and then press the style
button. This seems to update both paragraphs but because only part of one of
the paragraphs was selected, it creates a new style with the Char suffix.

Most annoying! But at least I have the templates write protected so that the
CHAR styles don't get propagated.

Terry Farrell

"A DeLew" wrote:

Why does Word sometimes add the letters "Char" behind a style after I've
used it in a document? Example: I'm using a style named silly,s. After
use it for awhile it now displays as silly, s, char. What causes that
and
how can I avoid it.

Ever seen "Char Char Char Char Char Char1 Char Char Ch" style? Marilyn Microsoft Word Help 2 October 4th 06 04:47 PM
Style Char problem Mary Chris Tables 5 September 15th 06 12:56 PM
Char Char1 style added when saving as dot template Adrian Formatting Long Documents 3 June 12th 06 09:22 AM
New unwanted style called Char... gets created when I save as DOT template Adrian Microsoft Word Help 5 June 9th 06 09:56 AM
Infestation of Char Char formatting Mary Formatting Long Documents 4 April 7th 06 09:10 AM