Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie Julie is offline

Default section breaks without moving text

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Continuous Section break is the one that will do what you want.
View the Non-Printing Characters (either by Ctrl+Shft+8 or the ¶ icon (on
the Home ribbon or the Standard toolbar to toggle the view of these) to see
exactly what is happening when you insert this break.
Also ensure your table does not have Keep with Next paragraph function
assigned to some of the rows as this will push the table to the next page.
Come back iof this does not solve your problem.
DeanH

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A Continuous section break should not result in a page break unless you're
changing the number of columns and there are footnotes involved. What is the
purpose of the section break?

"Julie" wrote in message
I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sonja Holmes Sonja Holmes is offline

I am having the same problem. I am formatting a fill-in form that has a
picture included that needs to be able to be unrestricted. the document is
in 2 columns. So I put a section break on either side of the picture, but now
- the picture becomes one column and moves the test above it to column 2 - I
need it to remain in column 1. Can you help?
--
Sonja Holmes

"Julie" wrote in message
I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaty Oaty is offline

Same problem. I've got a section with three columns. I placed a section
break after the last column and started a small table. This table is shifted
to another page. It also happens later in the document. Individually, these
work...i.e. if viewed in several different documents, but each forces the
next section break onto a new .That is each time I use columns the next
section break forces the section onto a new page.
"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that a table in Word is always followed by a paragraph mark (). If the
paragraph mark doesn't fit on the same page as the table, the table will
move to the following page. To work around this, format the paragraph mark
as 1 pt font size, with a line spacing of exactly 1 pt and spacing
before/after set to zero. You could also/alternatively format the mark as
hidden.

To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, you can
press Ctrl+Shift+8 or use the button on the Standard toolbar (Word
97-2003) or on the Home tab (Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, the paragraph mark doesn't drag the table to the next page (unless
the last row is formatted as "Keep with next"), but it can result in an
extra page, often blank. There may be something different going on here,
however.

http://word.mvps.org

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaty Oaty is offline

How do I format the paragraph .. as 1 pt font size with line spacing as 1 pt
font size.. I don't see either as an option under format/paragraph. Spacing
before/after is already set to zero.

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto the

Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, of course it doesn't. I don't know what I was thinking of... :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do the columns contain footnotes? See Section break causes an unexpected
page break in Word at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074

http://word.mvps.org

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto

Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But see also Suzanne's replies.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaty Oaty is offline

No there are no footnotes. Although, I would like to solve this problem for
future reference perhaps, I am going about this with the wrong approach to
begin with. All that I am trying to accomplish is to have three columns
followed below by a single line of text with a particular dotted patterned
background for this line only that will actually print as a heading for text
or additional columns to follow. The pattern I wish to use is not available
under borders and shading.The only way I've managed to get it to work is with
a table . What I have done is placed a continuous section break after the
last column and formatted the table with a pattern. Works fine except for all
the solutions offered it gets pushed to another page. If I simply enter text
instead of a table or text box it enters without being pushed , but this
doesn't allow for a particular patterned background on this line only .

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text onto

Thanks.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps Word 2007 is different, but in Word 2003, there are no patterns or
colors or backgrounds that can be applied to a table that can't also be
applied to paragraph text using Format | Borders and Shading. What sort of
pattern are you trying to use? The Borders and Shading dialog accessed from
the Table Tools | Design tab in Word 2007 seems to me to offer the same
choices as the one accessed from the Home tab, both of which are essentially
the same as their counterparts in Word 2003.

http://word.mvps.org

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to
the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto
the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text
onto

Thanks.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaty Oaty is offline

A background fill allows 48 different patterns. I would like a dotted
background. whereas the shading format only allows about 12 different
patterns.e.g. dk trellis, lt trllis etc. However, when using background the
entire sheet attains the background not just the line. To attain just the
line background I've attempted to use a one line table which works , but
throws the break to the next page. If I use shading it works fine but not
with the pattern I would like to use from backgrounds.

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving to
the
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto
the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text
onto

Thanks.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, this explains it. If you're using a background, then it is a section
property.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that a table in Word is always followed by a paragraph mark
(¶).

"Julie" wrote:

I wish to insert a section break and keep the text from moving
second
page. I've tried to use a variety of different kinds of section
breaks--odd
page, even page, continuous but each time it moves my Table onto
the
next
page.

Is there a way to insert a section break without moving the text
onto

Thanks.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another point: the % shadings are created with dots. If you choose one color
for the Fill and another for the shading, you can get a two-tone background.

http://word.mvps.org