tika

Default nonprinting graphics

How do I create a header so that it shows up on screen but not when printed.
(the header is a placed .wmf file)
Jay Freedman

tika wrote:
How do I create a header so that it shows up on screen but not when
printed. (the header is a placed .wmf file)

If it's the only graphic object in the document, click the Options button in
the Print dialog and uncheck "Drawing objects". (Remember to check it again
the next time you do want to print any graphics.)

If there are other graphics that you do want to print, you'll have to make
the one in the header invisible. Select it and use the brightness control on
the Picture toolbar to make it look the same as the background. Print, and
then click Undo (or just close the document without saving).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

tika

Thank you for your suggestions.

I tried the first option but the graphic still printed. What I'm trying to
do is create a letterhead template that can be printed on already printed
letterhead stationary. I'd like to have the graphic in the document as a
visual place holder without having to adjust its contrast levels everytime I
need to print with it. Is this even possible.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

tika wrote:
How do I create a header so that it shows up on screen but not when
printed. (the header is a placed .wmf file)

If it's the only graphic object in the document, click the Options button in
the Print dialog and uncheck "Drawing objects". (Remember to check it again
the next time you do want to print any graphics.)

If there are other graphics that you do want to print, you'll have to make
the one in the header invisible. Select it and use the brightness control on
the Picture toolbar to make it look the same as the background. Print, and
then click Undo (or just close the document without saving).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hmm. The drawing objects option certainly *should* have worked. There are
two ways to get to that dialog, and you might try the other one -- Tools
Options Print tab -- to see whether it works any better.

If that still doesn't do it, I can provide a macro that will handle the
adjust/print/undo operation with one click. For that I need to know (a) what
version of Word you have and (b) whether the .wmf is 'in line with text' or
floating.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

tika wrote:
How do I create a header so that it shows up on screen but not when
printed. (the header is a placed .wmf file)

If it's the only graphic object in the document, click the Options
button in the Print dialog and uncheck "Drawing objects". (Remember
to check it again the next time you do want to print any graphics.)

If there are other graphics that you do want to print, you'll have
to make the one in the header invisible. Select it and use the
brightness control on the Picture toolbar to make it look the same
as the background. Print, and then click Undo (or just close the
document without saving).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

tika

Thank you both Jay and Suzanne for all your help. I don't know what a "macro"
is. But I have microsft office 2001 for mac. My .wmf file is a linked file
that was inserted into the header.

In regaurds to Suzane's comment does that mean that I can only supress
printing when I have my image in the drawing layer? If so is there a way to
lock the image in the drawing layer so that it does not move around? And will
it have the same effects like when a graphic is placed in the header.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

tika wrote:
How do I create a header so that it shows up on screen but not when
printed. (the header is a placed .wmf file)

If it's the only graphic object in the document, click the Options
button in the Print dialog and uncheck "Drawing objects". (Remember
to check it again the next time you do want to print any graphics.)

If there are other graphics that you do want to print, you'll have
to make the one in the header invisible. Select it and use the
brightness control on the Picture toolbar to make it look the same
as the background. Print, and then click Undo (or just close the
document without saving).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

I can't guarantee the Mac will behave exactly the same as the Windows
version, but it probably will. The graphic can be in the drawing layer and
still be in the header -- those are two separate considerations.

Open the header area. Select the graphic. If you see the Picture toolbar,
click the Text Wrapping button and choose Square (or any other except In
Line With Text). If you don't get a toolbar, then right-click the graphic,
select Format Picture, click the Layout tab, and choose Square.

The picture should still be the same size, in the same place. The only
difference may be that text in the header moves around it; this can usually
be fixed with the use of tabs or paragraph indents. Close the header pane.
Now the picture should obey the print option to omit drawing objects.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

"Drawing objects" affects only graphics in the drawing layer; inline
graphics are unaffected.

newsgroup so all may benefit.