Peter Harrington

Default Help: Lost cross references to figures

I have a long document with figures at the end of a document. I created
figure captions and used cross-references to refer to them in the text.

The problem is that the first figure needs to be printed in landscape. I
set page setup to print this page in landscape, and a section break was
created, but now all my figure references have been lost and replaced with
Error: reference can not be found.

1. Have these references been lost for good?
2. Can I alter the section break so that the references after it are
visible?
I would like to have one document with one page printed in landscape and
retain the figure references?
3. Is there a better approach to having a landscape figure? Can I rotate
the figure?

Thanks,

Pete

Barb Reinhardt

I recently set up a document with figures, section breaks and
cross-references like you stated. The only time I saw that error message
was if someone edited the original bookmarked section and the bookmark was
no longer available.

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
I have a long document with figures at the end of a document. I created
figure captions and used cross-references to refer to them in the text.

The problem is that the first figure needs to be printed in landscape. I
set page setup to print this page in landscape, and a section break was
created, but now all my figure references have been lost and replaced with
Error: reference can not be found.

1. Have these references been lost for good?
2. Can I alter the section break so that the references after it are
visible?
I would like to have one document with one page printed in landscape and
retain the figure references?
3. Is there a better approach to having a landscape figure? Can I
rotate the figure?

Thanks,

Pete

Stefan Blom

Have you tried to select the entire document and then press F9 to
update fields (including cross-references)?

Note that Word cross-references make use of hidden bookmarks, which
are inserted into the referenced paragraphs. An error message would
imply that something has happened to such a bookmark.

A possible source of trouble is that when you press ENTER at the
beginning of a bookmarked paragraph the bookmark grows to also include
the contents of that newly created paragraph. To prevent this from
happening, you should always press ENTER at the end of the previous
paragraph when inserting things before bookmarked paragraphs.

However, the effect of an "enlarged" bookmark is usually that extra
stuff is included in the cross-reference (even page breaks or section
breaks!), not that the cross-reference is broken. It might be worth
investigating this possibility, though.

--
Stefan Blom