scottkinsey

Default Repeating Table headings with "Continued"

I want to include the Table Caption on each page of a table. But, on
subsequent pages, I want to add the word "Continued". I've placed the table
caption in the first row and marked it as a header row. So, it repeats like
I want, but I can't figure out how to add the word Continued on the following
pages.

For instance, say a table begins on page x. I place the table caption in the
first row as Table 3.2.1-1 - Table of Procedures. When the table flows over
to the next page, I want the first row to be: Table 3.2.1-1 - Table of
Procedures (Continued).

I don't want to split the table and 'fake' it because I have some long
tables and editing would require reformatting the tables.

Any suggestions ?
Jezebel

I've battled with this one, too. Without great success. The repeated header
rows are not actually duplicated; it's a literal repetition of the original
text. So tricks like IF fields in the header using extra text if the current
page number is different to the page on which the table starts can't work.

The best solution I came up with was to put a StyleRef field in the page
header to pick up the table caption.

"scottkinsey" wrote in message
[...]

Margaret Aldis

The other workaround - sounds messy but actually works well - is to include
the word 'Continued' in a repeating heading row, but cover it with a white
rectangle on the first page. Detailed instructions he

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ftngp03&rnum=1

(I think I've seen it documented elsewhere, but this one came up first on
Google and seems to cover it.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

I've toyed with the idea of writing a FAQ on this one but played around with
it and realized that, while it will work for situation such as that
described by the OP, it will not work for situations where what you really
want is "Table 1--continued" (without the caption). Still, it does work
perfectly for "Table 3.2.1-1 - Table of Procedures (Continued)." The trick
is to anchor the autoshape *outside* the heading row.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

giovanni

Not sure this is the best solution, but how about suing cross references and
adding the word "continued" by hand? Of course it depends on the level of
automation you require, but at least the table number is updated.