Dee

Default Template Question

I have a template that I customized the heading styles etc. I have a large
document (over 100 pages) that I need to paste into this new template. What
is the best way to achieve this. Once pasted into this template, would I have
to go and apply the styles through the whole document or is there an easier
way to do this. I know usually when you paste something into a document, it
doesn't automatically take on the styles of that template.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Dee
Sammy

I do this very thing. I cut or copy the entire document that needs to be put
into the new template. I then paste the document into the new template. If
all of the style are marked with the correct name in the old template, the
document should take on the characteristics of the template that you are
pasting into. I have not had to apply or edit styles when I've done this.

"Dee" wrote:

I have a template that I customized the heading styles etc. I have a large
document (over 100 pages) that I need to paste into this new template. What
is the best way to achieve this. Once pasted into this template, would I have
to go and apply the styles through the whole document or is there an easier
way to do this. I know usually when you paste something into a document, it
doesn't automatically take on the styles of that template.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Dee

Charles Kenyon

Assuming your styles have the same names in both templates, create a new
document based on your new template. Create some text in each of the styles
you want to use. Then paste the contents of your old document into the new
document and delete the dummy text.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dee" wrote in message
I have a template that I customized the heading styles etc. I have a large
document (over 100 pages) that I need to paste into this new template.
What
is the best way to achieve this. Once pasted into this template, would I
have
to go and apply the styles through the whole document or is there an
easier
way to do this. I know usually when you paste something into a document,
it
doesn't automatically take on the styles of that template.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Dee

Daiya Mitchell

If your styles *don't* have the same names:

it is possible to use Find and Replace to convert all text in style Body
Text to style Custom Body Text, for example.

You would leave the Find and Replace boxes empty and click on More to Format
the empty boxes with the appropriate styles.

Obviously, this approach would only work if the old document is styled
logically, and you would first want to insert the old doc into a doc based
on a template with the new styles, so that they were available to be used by
the Replace function.

On 9/14/05 1:13 PM, "Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Assuming your styles have the same names in both templates, create a new
document based on your new template. Create some text in each of the styles
you want to use. Then paste the contents of your old document into the new
document and delete the dummy text.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/