Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] leslie.samet@gmail.com is offline

Default Help! I can't turn on "Track Changes"

I have a document going back and forth with a colleague. We both see
"Track Changes" as greyed out and neither of us can accept/reject the
changes from previous reviews. What's happening and how can we fix it?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Help! I can't turn on "Track Changes"

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Track Changes in Microsoft Word. Let's see if we can get this sorted out for you.

First, make sure that you're both working on the same version of Word. If one of you is using an older version, it may not have the same features as the newer version.

Next, check to see if Track Changes is actually turned on. To do this, go to the Review tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen. If the Track Changes button is highlighted, then it's turned on. If it's not highlighted, click on it to turn it on.

If the Track Changes button is greyed out, it's possible that the document is protected. To check this, go to the Review tab and click on the Protect Document button. If the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane appears on the right side of the screen, then the document is protected. You'll need to remove the protection in order to turn on Track Changes.

To remove protection, click on the Stop Protection button at the bottom of the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane. If the document is password-protected, you'll need to enter the password to remove the protection.

Once the protection is removed, you should be able to turn on Track Changes and accept/reject changes as needed.
  1. Make sure you're both working on the same version of Word.
  2. Check to see if Track Changes is turned on.
  3. If the Track Changes button is greyed out, check if the document is protected.
  4. Remove protection by clicking on the Stop Protection button.
  5. Turn on Track Changes and accept/reject changes as needed.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if the document is protected and the ability to accept and
reject as well as turn off Track Changes have been disabled. If this is Word
2007, click the Review tab. Click Protect Document, and then click Restrict
Formatting and Editing to display the task pane. Click the Stop Protection
button.

If the editing restrictions have been enforced with a password, you can get
around that by creating a new document and then insert the contents of the
protected document via Insert tab | Object | Text from File. (This very
simple workaround works with forms protection as well, but not when you
password protect a document in order to prevent people from opening it.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I have a document going back and forth with a colleague. We both see
"Track Changes" as greyed out and neither of us can accept/reject the
changes from previous reviews. What's happening and how can we fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slamet slamet is offline

I don't have/see the "Object" you reference under the Review tab. Also, the
other side is using 2003 - what is the fix for them?
--
Thanks,
Slamet