Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

Default Stubborn style applied to graphic

Bon Jour,

OS: Win XP
Word: 2003

i'm working on a document that someone else created. It contains pictures
inserted inline in its own paragraph immediately after a caption. The caption
has its own style "Photo Captions".

That style was set to create a "Photo Captions" style afterwards so, not
surprisingly, the paragraph with the graphic was set to "Photo Captions"
style. But this is a problem because the Table of Figures is based on the
"Photo Captions" style. The picture shows up as part of the Table of Figures.

So I highlighted the picture and its paragraph marker and selected the
"Normal" style. But the graphic continued as a "Photo Captions" style.

Thinking the document might be corrupted, I pulled the body of the document
(minus the last paragraph marker) into a new document and the problem
persisted. I then brought just one picture/paragraph into a fresh document
and the problem persisted.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

--
JohnTheTemp
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Try clicking ALT+F9 to toggle the display of the field codes themselves.
The number for the Picture Caption that is appearing in the Table of
Figures. You should see a code like {SEC Figure} - once for the number
and then once for the picture. Delete the extra picture one.

Now, you should be able to ALT+F9 again to see the Photo Caption
Numbers, and then update your table of figures.

Let us know if you need more help.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"JohnTheTemp" wrote in message
:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/6/2007 10:11 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

Positive. I even created paragraph markers from normal paragraphs above and
pasted them below the caption and picture. Then I copied the picture into
that new paragraph. The graphic stayed "Photo Captions".

I just managed to fix them all by Painting the paragraph marker (which is
Normal style) to the entire paragraph (including that same paragraph marker).
It sometimes took a couple of paints, but I got them all to Normal.

I'm relieved but baffled. And some of my Stylenames show an Arabic-like
character at the end.

--
JohnTheTemp

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

Firstly, I fixed all those pictures by being more persistant that the style.
See my response to Suzanne Barnhill.

Regarding your post, when I look at the field code for the Table of Figures,
this is what I see {TOC \h \z \t "Photo captions" \c}. This is because the
captions are hardcoded ("Figure 1 - Harrington Avenue") and the "Photo
Captions" style applied to them. The TOC field above only looks for that
style. So I had to find a way to wipe the picture clear of that style. Why it
didn't go away when I tried to apply a style to it before still mystifies me,
but I don't have the time to dig deeper.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
JohnTheTemp