Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus Gustafson Gus Gustafson is offline

Default Word 2003 - Unexpected Greek letters appear

I have an existing document. When I open it and attempt to modify it, the
characters that are inserted are Greek letters not English letters. I have
tried a number of options but apparently have not hit on the right one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Is the text at the insertion point formatted in the Greek language? Do you
have the automatically detect language setting checked in Tools Language?
Office 2007 additionally adds a function to automatically switch the
keyboard to the language of the surrounding text.

Gus Gustafson wrote:
I have an existing document. When I open it and attempt to modify it,
the characters that are inserted are Greek letters not English
letters. I have tried a number of options but apparently have not hit
on the right one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did the font get changed to Symbol at that point?

(Will Word 2007 switch the keyboard even if that language's IME isn't
installed through Windows?)

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Gus Gustafson wrote:
I have an existing document. When I open it and attempt to modify it,
the characters that are inserted are Greek letters not English
letters. I have tried a number of options but apparently have not hit
on the right one.

Thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

grammatim wrote:
(Will Word 2007 switch the keyboard even if that language's IME isn't
installed through Windows?)

It appears to require that the relevant keyboard is pre-installed, but
having Word switch anything automatically is not a route I particularly want
to go down. I prefer to click the keyboard selector on the language toolbar
or activate the keyboard shortcut. As I live in a Greek speaking country I
have the Greek and UK keyboards installed and the function switches between
them according to the language of the text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus Gustafson Gus Gustafson is offline

Thank you. Sorry I'm so late in replying. I couldn't find the thread.

Turns out that the characters following a bullet were displayed as English
but when a change was made they becamew Greek letters.