How do I insert an en space in Word?

Old July 7th 07, 11:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Guy Bullen

Default How do I insert an en space in Word?

I use Office 2003 and need to insert en dashes after Figure numbers. But I
can't find this function in Word Help.
Does this function exist in Word 2003?
Old July 7th 07, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Do you want en space as the subject or en dash as the message?
The latter is CTRL + Minus on the numeric key pad.
The former you can insert from Insert Symbol. There is no shortcut by
default, but nothing stopping you from adding one. I would suggest an
autocorrect for #n.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old July 7th 07, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_50_]

See Insert/Symbol.../[Special characters]. The short cut is [Ctrl +
Num-], where Num- is the dash on the numeric keyboard.

Old July 7th 07, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To add to what the others have said, en and em spaces and dashes are listed
on the Special Characters tab of Insert | Symbol. There's no built-in
keyboard shortcut for the spaces, but you can assign one. There is also a
"Figure Space" available in some large Unicode fonts (such as Arial Unicode
MS), but it sounds like what you want is the en dash rather than the space
(there's a Figure Dash at U2012). For more on all this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm.

Old July 30th 09, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gloribee11

The CTRL + Minus worked! Thanks. I've tried the Word 2007 insturctions, i.e.,
Go to Proofing, Auto Correct Options, Auto Correct tab, and I checked "hyphen
with en dash," but it hasn't produced an en dash. I just get two dashes.

Old August 6th 09, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hyphens are not converted to dashes until you complete the word following
the hyphen(s).

http://word.mvps.org