Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LawTrainer LawTrainer is offline

Default Styles mysteriously being added to the Normal.dot list of styles

I just opened a new Word blank document and noticed some styles that I did
not add to my list of styles in the Normal.dot template in Word 2003. This
is constantly happening where I work. The "Automatically update document
styles" is not checked in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box. How are
these styles getting added to my list of styles in the Normal.dot template?

Thanks for your help!!
--
LawTrainer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:47:02 -0800, LawTrainer
wrote:

I just opened a new Word blank document and noticed some styles that I did
not add to my list of styles in the Normal.dot template in Word 2003. This
is constantly happening where I work. The "Automatically update document
styles" is not checked in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box. How are
these styles getting added to my list of styles in the Normal.dot template?

Thanks for your help!!

Have you "not added styles to Normal.dot", or have you not added styles at all?
There's a difference...

In the New Style dialog, if the "Add to template" box is checked, the new style
will be saved in both the current document and the document's template, which
may be Normal.dot.

One way to get a handle on this is to go to Tools Options Save and check
"Prompt to save Normal template". Then any time you close Word when there are
unsaved changes to Normal.dot, you'll get a message box asking whether to
proceed -- although, unfortunately, it won't tell you what the changes are. If
you say no, any changes will be discarded.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman