Lady_1

Default Why do I have *.tmp files show on my desktop everytime I make a c.

Every change I make to my open document is saved to my desktop as a different
version? they show up as almost transparent *.tmp files. I have Word 2003. it
appears as ~$ and then the document name. a lot of times I don't even have to
make any changes, it appears on the desktop when I simply minimize the
document. Can anyone help me with where to change this setting?
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:59:01 -0700, Lady_1
wrote:

Every change I make to my open document is saved to my desktop as a different
version? they show up as almost transparent *.tmp files. I have Word 2003. it
appears as ~$ and then the document name. a lot of times I don't even have to
make any changes, it appears on the desktop when I simply minimize the
document. Can anyone help me with where to change this setting?

Read the article
How Word for Windows Uses Temporary Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632
for an explanation of why and where Word creates these files. Many of
them *must* be in the same folder as the original document because of
the way they're created and used.

If you store any document on the desktop and edit it with Word, at
least some of its temp files *will* appear on the desktop while it's
open -- you can't change that. However, they should disappear when you
close Word. If that doesn't happen, you'll have to delete them
manually, as explained at
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

If you never store any documents on the desktop, but instead store
them in other folders, you'll never see the temp files unless you go
looking for them. You can put a shortcut to a document on the desktop,
so it's just as convenient as having the document itself there, but
the temp files will be created in the folder with the real document.

If there are documents you use very often over long periods, you may
be interested in a little-known feature of Word called the Work menu
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Files/folders which appear as almost transparent icons are, in fact, "hidden"
files/folders, which can take up a lot of space in your viewing area, and can
become very irritating. You can, to all intents and purposes, get rid of them
visually. From the Start menu, select Control Panel/Folder Options, then on
the View tab, select "Do not show hidden files". Click on "Apply" and "OK".

claruspaw

wrote:

[...]

And then when you go to look for Normal.dot, you will not be able to find
it. I prefer Jay's solution.

wrote:

[...]

Files open as read only Danny Sanders Microsoft Word Help 2 March 7th 05 11:27 PM
Upgrading MS Office caused Word Docs to DISAPPEAR?! Friendship Center New Users 6 January 27th 05 09:56 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM
How do I get Recently used files to show? Nana Ann Microsoft Word Help 1 December 3rd 04 02:35 AM