SueMichele

Default Weird TOC Problem: pictures appearing in TOC

Hi,
I've created a document from a template (don't ask me which one, it was a
while ago, I've just been adding and updating for a long time), and when I go
to update the Table of Contents, some of the pictures I've imported into the
document have shown up in the TOC. What in the world's going on? How do I
fix it?
I'm guessing that somewhere along the line the coding got mixed up and
instead of the header that was supposed to be in the TOC, the coding got put
in front of/around the picture, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyone?
Please? Help?
Thanks!
SueMichele
Anne Troy

TOCs are generated using styles. You obviously have selected a picture and
applied a style to it, or pasted a picture in front of a paragraph return to
which a style is applied. I always create styles for my graphics, and so
could you. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
Then, apply the style to all your graphics (you can use the style dropdown
for the first one, then hit the F4 key after you select each new graphic).
Update your TOC and you'll be good to go. If you don't want a style for your
graphics, then apply the normal style or some other style that won't appear
in your TOC (usually Heading styles).
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"SueMichele" wrote in message
Hi,
I've created a document from a template (don't ask me which one, it was a
while ago, I've just been adding and updating for a long time), and when I
go
to update the Table of Contents, some of the pictures I've imported into
the
document have shown up in the TOC. What in the world's going on? How do
fix it?
I'm guessing that somewhere along the line the coding got mixed up and
instead of the header that was supposed to be in the TOC, the coding got
put
in front of/around the picture, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyone?
Please? Help?
Thanks!
SueMichele

Suzan

This happened when I was teaching a Word class. To fix one a TOC that has
already been created, go into: Insert, Reference, Index and Tables. Select
the TOC tab. Click the Options button. You should see a style called graphic.
Take the 1 out of the box next to it. Exit out and F9 the TOC. The graphics
should go away.

Suzan
"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

SueMichele

I tried this first because it seemed the least involved, but I didn't have
any graphic style (that I could see, anyway). However, I did figure out how
to tell it what headings I want to show up in the TOC, which is something I
didn't know, so thanks!
Any idea if there's a way to distinguish levels in the TOC? FI, I have the
first level as Chapter Titles, and the second as Heading 1 (+ Befo 0,
After: 0), but they look the same in the TOC. I'd like the Chapter Titles to
look . . . bigger? a different color? whatever . . . just so you can tell
which is a sub of which section, IYKWIM. Like "Where Things Are" is a
Chapter Title and under that are different sections, like "Circuit Breaker
Box" and "Gas Valves" and soforth.
BTW, I think Anne's advice is working for the other thing. I think the
difference is that I didn't do it on purpose, IYKWIM, I just stuck pictures
in right after the code that said "Header 1" or whatever, rather than
indicating that I want ALL pictures to be a certain style.
Thanks for the help!
SueMichele

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

SueMichele

Okay, since you seem to know about such things, how do I get the settings to
take when I tell it what I want in the TOC? I went to:
Insert, Reference, Index and Tables. Selected the TOC tab. Clicked the
Options button.
But when I put a "1" in the box next to "Chapter Title" and a "2" next to
"Heading 1" it doesn't STAY like that. I clicked "OK" and then clicked it
again in the "Indexes and Tables" box. Isn't that what you do to get it to
stay like that? Why isn't it taking? What do I do? Help?
Thanks!
SueMichele

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Suzan

If you use the built in heading styles (heading 1, 2, etc), they will come
out in levels in your TOC automatically. There is an alternate way to 'code'
the text but I haven't done it in ages. You have more control with manual
coding since you can force text other than the section heading to appear in
the TOC entry in addition to telling it what level you want - but you have to
manually code each one. Probably someone with more experience than myself can
give you more info if the Help screens are not clear.

Suzan

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

SueMichele

I think this is what happened, and I've already gotten one picture out of the
TOC, thanks! See my post to Suzan, please, maybe you can answer my other
question that came up while I was trying this. I realized you can't tell the
difference in levels of the TOC. I guess I could take out the Chapter Titles
and put them in manually, but there's probably a MUCH easier way, isn't there?
Thanks again for the help!
SueMichele

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

TOCs have different styles than Headings. For instance, heading1 could be
14pt bold, but TOC1 is 12pt. Change the TOC style. Easiest is to select ONE
of the TOC lines (but not the first one) and bold it. All of them that have
the same style applied (TOC1) should change to bold.