Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
owen owen is offline

Default Template Document Custom Menu

I have created a Word 2003 template document with macros assigned to a custom
menu.

If i place the template document in my Word/Startup folder then the custom
menu appears when word is started. However, i only want the custom menu to
appear when the user specifically opens the template document.

When i created the menu i specified to save it in my template document, not
normal.dot. If i select File/New Document/From Existing Template, the custom
menu is not available.

Can anyone help me here so that my custom menu is only available when a new
document is created from my template?

Thanks in advance

Owen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You need to place the custom menu and macros in the document template. That
way when a new document is created based on the template or a document based
on the template is opened the custom menu will appear and the macros will be
available.

Now, if you already have the above then were the macros and custom menu
previously stored in your Normal template and you later moved them? If thats
the case then the fact you removed the menu still remains in your Normal
template and even though your template has the custom menu it's getting
cancelled by your Normal template. To correct the issue reset your menu
bar/toolbars in your Normal template.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Owen" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template document with macros assigned to a
custom
menu.

If i place the template document in my Word/Startup folder then the custom
menu appears when word is started. However, i only want the custom menu to
appear when the user specifically opens the template document.

When i created the menu i specified to save it in my template document,
not
normal.dot. If i select File/New Document/From Existing Template, the
custom
menu is not available.

Can anyone help me here so that my custom menu is only available when a
new
document is created from my template?

Thanks in advance

Owen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
owen owen is offline

Hi Beth

Thanks for your reply. I am still having a problem here after following your
instructions.

Here is some more information, in case this helps. When i originally open
the template document, the standard menu items from my Normal.dot are
available.
To obtain my custom menu i need to unprotect the document, select customise,
then on the Commands Tab change the "Save in" drop down item from Normal.dot
to My Template.dot.

My custom menu is then available, however when i save the document/template,
close it and reopen it again...the standard menu appears from Normal.dot.

Not sure if this helps on determining where i am going wrong.

Thanks again for your help.
Owen

"Owen" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template document with macros assigned to a
custom
menu.

If i place the template document in my Word/Startup folder then the custom
menu appears when word is started. However, i only want the custom menu to
appear when the user specifically opens the template document.

When i created the menu i specified to save it in my template document,
not
normal.dot. If i select File/New Document/From Existing Template, the
custom
menu is not available.

Can anyone help me here so that my custom menu is only available when a
new
document is created from my template?

Thanks in advance

Owen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Did you reset the menu bar for your Normal template as I suggested? If your
customizations were ever in your Normal template at any time and you removed
them then Word "remembers" they are removed and will not display them. I
know this may sound odd but trust me, I learned this the hard way. :-)

To reset the menu bar for your Normal template, in the Customize dialog box
locate "Menu bar" on the Toolbars tab. Select it and then click "Reset". If
you also have custom toolbars in your template you'll need to reset these in
the Normal template as well. Unfortunately if you have customized the menu
bar or toolbars for your Normal template then you will lose your
modifications. However, this is the only way to force Word to "forget" that
you removed your customizations from your Normal template.

in the future, you may want to use the method I found works best for
creating a new template and custom menu/toolbar for the template.

- To create a new template, click File/New, select "Blank Document" and then
click the "Template" option in the dialog box. Note this is different from
creating a new document and then saving it as a template. The steps I
provided will create a template based on the factory defaults and none of
your customizations in your Normal template will be inherited by the
document.

-To customize the menu/toolbar, start Word while holding down the Ctrl key
to start Word in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode make your customizations.
This will prevent you from accidentally modifying the menu/toolbars in your
Normal template which can result in what you are currently encountering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Owen" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template document with macros assigned to a
custom
menu.

If i place the template document in my Word/Startup folder then the
custom
menu appears when word is started. However, i only want the custom menu
appear when the user specifically opens the template document.

When i created the menu i specified to save it in my template document,
not
normal.dot. If i select File/New Document/From Existing Template, the
custom
menu is not available.

Can anyone help me here so that my custom menu is only available when a
new
document is created from my template?

Thanks in advance

Owen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
owen owen is offline

Hi Beth

Thanks again for your response. I did reset my Normal.dot file Menu Bar as
suggested, however i was still not able to get the custom toolbar to load
when opening my template document.

I think i finally managed to sort the problem. Through trial and error i
removed a global template which was loaded called "PDFMaker.dot" from the
Program Files/OFFICE11/STARTUP folder. Everything now works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Owen

"Owen" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template document with macros assigned to a
custom
menu.

If i place the template document in my Word/Startup folder then the
custom
menu appears when word is started. However, i only want the custom menu
appear when the user specifically opens the template document.

When i created the menu i specified to save it in my template document,
not
normal.dot. If i select File/New Document/From Existing Template, the
custom
menu is not available.

Can anyone help me here so that my custom menu is only available when a
new
document is created from my template?

Thanks in advance

Owen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Yes, removing the PDFMaker add-in was a good move. It's known to discard
changes you make to your Normal template. So even though you were resetting
the menu bar the changes weren't being saved. Glad to hear you have it
sorted. :-)