Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

Default file naming conventions

I am using Word 2003. I transcribe cases for Justice Dept. I need to save
them with names that identify the region, case number and year. I do it like
this 41-23456-08. My manager has told me that I must use a period before the
year, like this 41-23456.08. I am sure I once read somewhere that one should
not use a period in the file name as the name is actually 41-23456-08.doc and
by putting a period before the "08" it can cause the file to become corrupt.
Is that correct or would it be in order to name the file 41-23456.08? Your
advice appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Elizabeth

"Elizabeth" wrote:
I am using Word 2003. I transcribe cases for Justice Dept. I need to save
them with names that identify the region, case number and year. I do it like
this 41-23456-08. My manager has told me that I must use a period before the
year, like this 41-23456.08. I am sure I once read somewhere that one should
not use a period in the file name as the name is actually 41-23456-08.doc and
by putting a period before the "08" it can cause the file to become corrupt.
Is that correct or would it be in order to name the file 41-23456.08? Your
advice appreciated.

I've not yet heard of a file getting corrupt like this, but I wouldn't use a
dot either.

It is not per se forbidden as per, i.e.:

HTH
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Recent operating systems will not baulk at 41-23456.08.doc or even
41.23456.08.doc; however to save as 41-23456.08 without the doc extension
would require you to either use a macro or put quotes around the filename.

Word can identify its files no matter what you call them, but using
non-standard filename extensions can cause problems with other applications
that share the new file extension.

You might want to consider creating a macro to save the documents with the
required name format. At its simplest that could be

Sub myFileSave()
Dim sRegion As String
Dim sCase As String
Dim sYear As String
If Len(ActiveDocument.Path) = 0 Then
sRegion = InputBox("Enter Region", "Save", "41")
If sRegion = "" Then GoTo Cancelled
sCase = InputBox("Enter Case No.", "Save")
If sCase = "" Then GoTo Cancelled
sYear = InputBox("Enter Year", "Save", format(Date, "YY"))
If sYear = "" Then GoTo Cancelled
ActiveDocument.SaveAs sRegion & "-" & sCase & "." & _
sYear & ".doc"
Else
ActiveDocument.Save
End If
Exit Sub
Cancelled:
MsgBox "User Cancelled!", vbInformation, "Save"
End Sub

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm but it could be improved upon
e.g. with a userform to collect all the naming data. For the basics, see
Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm

Elizabeth wrote:
I am using Word 2003. I transcribe cases for Justice Dept. I need
to save them with names that identify the region, case number and
year. I do it like this 41-23456-08. My manager has told me that I
must use a period before the year, like this 41-23456.08. I am sure
I once read somewhere that one should not use a period in the file
name as the name is actually 41-23456-08.doc and by putting a period
before the "08" it can cause the file to become corrupt. Is that
correct or would it be in order to name the file 41-23456.08? Your
advice appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I transcribe cases for Justice Dept. I need to
save
them with names that identify the region, case number and year. I do it
like
this 41-23456-08. My manager has told me that I must use a period before
the
year, like this 41-23456.08. I am sure I once read somewhere that one
should
not use a period in the file name as the name is actually 41-23456-08.doc
and
by putting a period before the "08" it can cause the file to become
corrupt.
Is that correct or would it be in order to name the file 41-23456.08?
Your
advice appreciated.

Changing the file extension doesn't corrupt a file. It does, however, make
it a little more difficult to open outside of the application. All a file
extension really does is "tell" your operating system, such as Windows,
which program it needs to open when you double-click on your Desktop or in
the Windows Explorer, such as My Computer.

These days if you add a period in your file name the extension will not be
changed. Your file will be named 41-23456.08.doc. The Office applications
are pretty protective of their extensions and will automatically add it.
It's more work to force the applications save a file with a different
extension. :-)

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Style naming conventions for templates Sleeper Microsoft Word Help 4 May 28th 08 03:31 PM
Document Naming Conventions for Standard Operating Procedures/Configuration Managment Invisible Man Microsoft Word Help 0 July 26th 06 10:56 PM
automatic file naming and saving into RTF. Apples76 Microsoft Word Help 0 July 5th 06 11:06 AM
file naming DickV Microsoft Word Help 1 January 6th 06 02:08 PM
File naming specifications / Invalid file name HRM Microsoft Word Help 3 October 17th 05 10:35 PM