Lloyd

Default Footnote Reference style conflict

I'm troubleshooting a document in which the footnote references in the body
of the document are inconsistently formatted. Some are superscripted with
12pt Times New Roman and a style name of "Footnote Reference + 12 pt", while
others are not superscripted and are 10pt Times New Roman with a style name
of "Footnote Reference."

Neither of these formattings are the default style, and I'd like to reformat
them to be the default footnote reference style which I believe is 10pt
superscripted Times New Roman.

Is there an easy way to strip the bogus formatting from these footnote
references and reapply the default style. There are 420 footnotes in the
document so, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require fixing them one
by one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lloyd
Daiya Mitchell

I believe--try this on a COPY--that I have had good luck doing a Find and
Replace, leaving both boxes blank but formatted with Footnote Reference
style. This seems to reapply the style, though I think I had a slightly
different situation when it worked for me.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Lloyd

Thanks, Daiya.

That was very helpful to at least one extent, it succeeded in making all the
footnote reference numbers the same size and style. It's clear from this
that the footnote reference style in this particular document has been
altered from the default, as the font size is 10pt and the footnote number is
not superscripted. I guess I can redefine the style to include 12pt
superscripted text.

Do you by any chance have any suggestions on how to reset the footnote style
to its default without actually redefining the style manually?

Thanks again for you help.

Lloyd

On 10/17/05 2:44 PM, "Lloyd" wrote:

[...]

Lloyd

Just wanted to say that after using your tip I copied the footnote reference
style from a new doc to the corrupted one and it overwrote the messed up
style definition and reset it correctly to the default style.

Thanks for your contribution.

Llolyd

On 10/17/05 2:44 PM, "Lloyd" wrote:

[...]

Lloyd

To give you precise feedback, I decided to go back over the steps I took to
see if both steps were necessary, and it turned out that, as you suspected,
the first step, namely that of searching and replacing the "Footnote
Reference" style with itself wasn't actually a necessary step, even though it
at first seemed like it was. It turns out that merely copying the style from
a prestine new document into the existing corrupted document, and thus
overwriting the corrupted style definition fixed the problem without the need
for the first step. I owe Anne Troy credit for giving me the tip to copy the
footnote style.

Nevertheless, I appreciated your tip, because it reminded me of the
capability of Search & Replace with styles, and I believe it will come in
handy with footnote styles a some point.

Lloyd