thelisha

Default Font problems in TOC

I am experiencing formatting trouble with the fonts in the TOC using Word
2003. Some of my headings are not in the same style as I specified for the
various levels of my TOC. I read something that said that direct formatting
would be the cause of this, but I went back to the heading styles that were
not showing up correctly, cleared all the formatting, then reapplied the
style for that section, yet the TOC still did not format correctly. Has
anyone experienced this issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Thelisha Woods

thelisha

Hello,
I did use the TOC style to choose my fonts, which is why I am confused that
all of my TOC entries are not showing up as I defined them when I created the
TOC. I guess I should have clarified though, that it isn't necessarily the
font, but some words are capitalized or lowercased and others look to be
bolded in the TOC. For instance -one of my TOC entries looks like this:
Dental assistance CHART CODe =4b. When it should look like this Dental
Assistance Chart Code =4B. That is what I was trying to say but I must not
have explained myself well. So I don't know what else to do to get this to
work correctly. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks
Thelisha

To clarify further:

1. For the headings in your document, you use the built-in (or custom)
heading styles: Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. You can modify these styles to
look any way you want. If you want them to be all caps, you can apply the
All Caps property, but be careful when typing the headings because the TOC,
if U&lc, will reflect the way you actually typed the title: for example, if
you typed "Dental assistance CHART CODe =4b," then that's what you'll get in
the TOC, even though you see DENTAL ASSISTANCE CHART CODE =4B" in the
document.

2. The TOC automatically uses TOC styles to pick up your headings, TOC 1 for
Heading 1 (or whatever custom style you have assigned Level 1 to), TOC 2 for
Heading 2, etc. You can modify each TOC style to look any way you like, but
it will pick up any direct font formatting you have applied to the heading.
So if your Heading 1 style is 16 pt Arial Bold, All Caps, and you have
applied italic to some words and have (as mentioned above) typed some
letters with Caps Lock on or the Shift key depressed, that formatting will
be reflected in the TOC entry.

"thelisha" wrote in message
Hello,
I did use the TOC style to choose my fonts, which is why I am confused

that
all of my TOC entries are not showing up as I defined them when I created

the
TOC. I guess I should have clarified though, that it isn't necessarily the
font, but some words are capitalized or lowercased and others look to be
bolded in the TOC. For instance -one of my TOC entries looks like this:
Dental assistance CHART CODe =4b. When it should look like this Dental
Assistance Chart Code =4B. That is what I was trying to say but I must not
have explained myself well. So I don't know what else to do to get this to
work correctly. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks
Thelisha

thelisha

Wow, there are just so many little things that you have to watch out for when
working in Word. I did not realize that, so thank you for clarifying that
point. The fact that the words looked fine in my document but not in the TOC
is what really had me stumped. While I was trying to figure out what was
going on, I went back and retyped some of the entries with the correct
capitalization and the TOC turned out fine. I wasn't sure if that was the
right way to do things, since I was trying to stick with using the styles but
everyone who responded to my question has helped me understand what was going
on. I am learning more about Word from this message board so I truly
appreciate the advice/feedback.
Thanks again!
Thelisha Woods