NZ JHL via OfficeKB.com

Default Mailmerge Datasourse Problem

I use MS Word mailmerge.

I have created a template and a word "data sourse" with various fields so
that at anytime I can produce a letter but with different information in
specific fields.
To make sure that I don't save over the main document I have saved it as a
"read only" document.

This means that when I go to open the document I get a "read only" warning
screen.

Of late, I have been getting two "read only" screens, one refers to a "dot"
extension and cannot fathom where the second has come from. The "find data
source" field in mail merge only shows one attachment.

This is mystery one - any ideas?

And also, on the odd occasion when after inputting the data in the "source
data" screen I go "OK" and then to check, open the data screen again before
mergining, at that time, some data that was input origionally is missing the
odd input data. So I'd put it in again and go through the same excercise and
on the second occasion it will take, and sometimes, it takes up to three
attemps before all the data actually "stays" in the data source input fields.

Another mystery - any idea what might cause this?

I do have three PCs running off a small network and have checked to see that
they are all set up the same way and running the same version of MS Windows
with the same service pack upgrades.

I'll Appreciate any suggestions that can be offered.
Peter Jamieson

Which version of Word? Have you recently applied any updates to Word/Office?
Is/Are your system(s) virus-free (I have to ask)

I have created a template

Do you mean a proper Word template, with a .dot extension, or do you mean an
ordinary Word document with a .doc extension? For the moment I am assuming
the latter because of what you say later.

Of late, I have been getting two "read only" screens, one refers to a
"dot"
extension and cannot fathom where the second has come from.

Can you please note down the messages and post the text here?

You probably know that each Word .doc has a template (.dot) attached - when
you have not explicitly attached a template, the document will typically be
attached to the template normal.dot. If you open the document and look in
Tools|Templates and Add-ins you should be able to see what template is
attached. It is probably worth also noting what other templates/addins are
listed in that dialog box.

The "find data
source" field in mail merge only shows one attachment.

Can you spell out exactly what you are seeing here?

And also, on the odd occasion when after inputting the data in the "source
data" screen I go "OK" and then to check, open the data screen again
before
mergining, at that time, some data that was input origionally is missing
the
odd input data. So I'd put it in again and go through the same excercise
and
on the second occasion it will take, and sometimes, it takes up to three
attemps before all the data actually "stays" in the data source input
fields.

Another mystery - any idea what might cause this?

What is the data source, and where is it located (On the local machine, or
on the network). Is it shared between the different machines on your
network?

Peter Jamieson