Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Randomly Created Bookmarks

For the last couple of weeks, my computer has been putting random bits of
text or graphics into bookmarks. The text or graphic is still there, and it
prints just fine, but on-screen I can see gray square brackets around it. It
might be in the middle of a page that [I'll see some]thing like this. (with
the brackets gray, of course) I have two questions about this nuisance.

First, does anybody have any ideas on what setting might be causing this?

Second, is there an easy way to remove the bookmark? If it were a
hyperlink, I could just right-click and select "Remove hyperlink." But I
can't find anything like that for bookmarks.

When the bookmark is text, I can copy it and then paste it back as
unformatted text. If I've selected a word on either side of the bookmark,
that works pretty well. It's a little harder if it's graphics or if it
contains a field code.

I'm running Word 2003 and Windows XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:57:01 -0700, Idaho Word Man
wrote:

[...]

You're seeing the "brackets" because you have the Bookmarks option turned on in
Tools Options View.

You can get rid of a bookmark, without affecting anything contained in it and
without any kind of copy/paste travail, by selecting its name in the Add
Bookmark dialog and clicking the Delete button. Usually the correct name will be
shown in the dialog if you position the cursor inside the bookmark before
clicking Insert Bookmark. (The possible exception occurs if two or more
bookmarks simultaneously include the cursor position.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Thanks, Jay, that works just fine.

When I got to the Insert - Bookmark screen, the bookmarks were named things
like "OLE_LINK1" or "OLE_LINK2." Does that give you any clue as to how they
were formed?

I was kind of surprised to see that each bookmarked passage was actually in
TWO bookmarks. For example, when I deleted OLE_LINK1, the highlighted passage
was still in a bookmark that didn't go away until I deleted OLE_LINK2.
Similarly, the next bookmarked passage was in OLE_LINK3 and 4, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Fred

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, that's a clue -- one you could have followed yourself in Google. See
http://word.tips.net/Pages/T000321_R...Bookmarks.html for a partial
explanation.

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.