Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CindiB CindiB is offline

Default How can I import 200 pix into Word book and add book text?

I have over 200 pictures in a group in Photoshop Elements 7. I want to put
them into a 150 page book with text content. I can export them from PE to a
file, but is there an easy way to move them and arrange 1 to 4 pictures on a
page with text?
Book will be printed at home and bound with plastic spine and home produced
covers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See the "Graphics from data base" item under the "Special merges" section of
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"CindiB" wrote in message
I have over 200 pictures in a group in Photoshop Elements 7. I want to put
them into a 150 page book with text content. I can export them from PE to
file, but is there an easy way to move them and arrange 1 to 4 pictures on
page with text?
Book will be printed at home and bound with plastic spine and home
produced
covers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a table with four cells to the page.
Create a label merge using this table as the label document
(http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm ) for the data source
create a list of your files. The simplest way to do that is to use the
Printfolders utility that you can download from my web site. Open the
resulting list in Word and edit it so that you have a list that looks like
D:\My Documents\My Pictures\IMG_1394.JPG
D:\My Documents\My Pictures\IMG_1395.JPG
D:\My Documents\My Pictures\IMG_1396.JPG

Run replace \ with \\ to make the single slashes double thus

D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1394.JPG
D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1395.JPG
D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1396.JPG

Add a title row at the top eg Pictures thus

Pictures
D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1394.JPG
D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1395.JPG
D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures\\IMG_1396.JPG

Select the whole lot then Table Insert Table, which will put each row in a
table cell. Save that as your data source.
You can then merge to the 'label' document e.g.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

CindiB wrote:
I have over 200 pictures in a group in Photoshop Elements 7. I want
to put them into a 150 page book with text content. I can export
them from PE to a file, but is there an easy way to move them and
arrange 1 to 4 pictures on a page with text?
Book will be printed at home and bound with plastic spine and home
produced covers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CindiB CindiB is offline

CindiB wrote:
I have over 200 pictures in a group in Photoshop Elements 7. I want
to put them into a 150 page book with text content. I can export
them from PE to a file, but is there an easy way to move them and
arrange 1 to 4 pictures on a page with text?
Book will be printed at home and bound with plastic spine and home
produced covers.

I'm not sure I understand. I haven't done a merge before. I also haven't done a table with cells on a page. I have used MS Publisher where I copied and paste each picture in a box at a time. I want to export all the pictures in a file, and be able to move them around on each page and work text around them. I have MS office Publisher, and perhaps I should use that instead of Word. I just don't know how to move all the pix at once into the Publisher file or Word file.

I don't see copying and paste each one at a time. Thank you for the help.
I can usually figure out how to do stuff, but this has me puzzled. C.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

CindiB wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. I haven't done a merge before. I also
haven't done a table with cells on a page. I have used MS Publisher
where I copied and paste each picture in a box at a time. I want to
export all the pictures in a file, and be able to move them around
on each page and work text around them. I have MS office Publisher,
and perhaps I should use that instead of Word. I just don't know
how to move all the pix at once into the Publisher file or Word
file.

I don't see copying and paste each one at a time. Thank you for the
help. I can usually figure out how to do stuff, but this has me
puzzled. C.

Unlike Publisher, Word is not a page layout application what you have used
with Publisher is not practical with Word. If you insert a load of pictures
into Word then try and shuffle them around you will end up tearing your
hair! It simply doesn't work like that.. My suggestion was to provide a
fixed framework in which to insert the pictures and the best fixed framework
is a table. It doesn't have to have borders around the cells, but it does
mean that you can place pictures in a regular arrangement and by providing
extra cells you can add text later.

The simplest way to populate the cells with pictures is to use mail merge. A
label mail merge http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm is the obvious
solution, though you will have to bend it a little to ensure that the images
(the data fields) only go in the cells where you require them. Word's mail
merge will want to put them in all the cells but you will probably want to
skip a few cells (vertically or horizontally) for your text.

After propagating the data (see the links) you will have a data field in
every cell. Change the document type to Letter (explained in the links) then
remove the content from the cells you wish to leave blank. (all the other
pages will leave the same blank cell arrangement.)

Then merge the data file created by the method I suggested earlier to a new
document - see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm .

This is all a lot simpler to do than it sounds, so take a look a the links
and see where it takes you.

The alternatives are to insert the images one at a time, or to use a page
layout application like Publisher.

luciham20 luciham20 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the information on this. I really enjoy the information. google