Prakash K.

Default How to define hyperlinks for files to be transferred to CD

I am creating a CD containing a collection of data information files in
various MS Office file formats such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and also in
Adob Acrobat formats. Most of these have been created by independant users
and now need to be put on a CD. All such files have been classified according
to the users and put in a subdirectories created for each user. Top (Home)
page will have Descriptions which will have hyperlinks to these individual
files. I am giving the hyperlinks but these are specific to the drive where
the files are currently stored. If I transfer them to CD, the links do not
work since CD-ROM drive can have different name in different users' PC's -
anything from D: onwards depending on how many HDD's they have created.

How to define hyperlinks in the main page so that hyperlinks work
irrespective of the name of the CD drive of the user?
lostinspace

[...]

There is a very lengthy and active thread regarding a similar question.
It make no send for everybody to retype their extensive replies because of
your lack of awareness or inability to use the archives.

In short, the answers depends on what version of Word your using?
If 2002 or a new version, the answer is NO.

Please note; the link below is very long and may be broken requiring copying
and pasting.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...0630536d96b6b7

I do extensive OCRing of magzine articles. These are sorted and stored by
both name of publication, year, month and date. All these are directory
after directory of sub-directories. As well a each issue containing
sub-folders to separate multi-images per article.
I use Word 2000.
Each month, my work is backed up to CD.
Each article contains an index and the index titles are linked to the
sub-folders documents.
The DOC's are created in WordPad and saved as 6.0/RTF.
Later when I view these docs from CD (or otherwise) they are opened as Word
docs.

The links function precisely as designed.

I've been using these method for over five years and across three different
OS with three different computers. "IF" this is the cooperation that the
newer versions of Word offer?
No thank you.