Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny Jenny is offline

Default Exclamation mark appears on saved document logo

I have never seen this before. What is the meaning of an exclamation point on
the logo that represents a saved Word 2003 document?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Exclamation mark appears on saved document logo

The exclamation mark on the saved document logo in Word 2003 indicates that there is an issue with the file. This could mean that the file was not saved properly or that there is some sort of corruption within the file. It is important to address this issue as soon as possible to avoid losing any important information.

Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue:
  1. Open the document and check for any errors or warnings that may be displayed.
  2. Save the document under a different name or in a different location to see if the issue persists.
  3. Try copying the contents of the document into a new document and saving it to see if the issue is resolved.
  4. If none of these steps work, you may need to use a file recovery tool to recover any lost data.

It is always a good idea to regularly back up your important documents to avoid any potential data loss.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:39:01 -0700, Jenny
wrote:

I have never seen this before. What is the meaning of an exclamation point on
the logo that represents a saved Word 2003 document?

The exclamation mark indicates a macro-enabled Word 2007-format document
(*.docm) or template (*.dotm).

Are you sure it's from Word 2003, not 2007? Or maybe it's Word 2003 with the
Compatibility Pack, and you saved in 2007 format?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny Jenny is offline

Thank you. I believe it was a 2003 document since I do not have 2007 on
either of my computers. Now, green checkmarks are appearing on some documents
logos. I have never seen this before, either. What are they? Are there any
other mysterious marks that are appearing? Incidentally, I couldn't make
either of the links in the email to me work in order to get back (by link) to
your message. I had to come to the site anew in order to read this. Thank you
for replying.

wrote:

I have never seen this before. What is the meaning of an exclamation point on
the logo that represents a saved Word 2003 document?

The exclamation mark indicates a macro-enabled Word 2007-format document
(*.docm) or template (*.dotm).

Are you sure it's from Word 2003, not 2007? Or maybe it's Word 2003 with the
Compatibility Pack, and you saved in 2007 format?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

If it's not 2007, it could be some kind of versioning system
(subversion, cvs). They commonly update icons indicating the status of
your file in the versioned system.

Yves

wrote:

I have never seen this before. What is the meaning of an exclamation point on
the logo that represents a saved Word 2003 document?

The exclamation mark indicates a macro-enabled Word 2007-format document
(*.docm) or template (*.dotm).

Are you sure it's from Word 2003, not 2007? Or maybe it's Word 2003 with the
Compatibility Pack, and you saved in 2007 format?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jeanmarie jeanmarie is offline

I have noticed the same thing on Word 2003 icons on my desktop. This must be
as a result of recent updates . Would it not be a good idea for microsoft to
inform their customers when changes are introduced. Anyway I would love to
know the signifance of these new markings checks and exclamation marks, and
are there any others?