Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gvm gvm is offline

Default adjust column width by dragging

Sometimes I place the cursor over the column line in a table, the cursor
changes to a pair of vertical parallel lines, I click in order to change the
width of the column by dragging it, and it doesn't move! Is it because the
autoformat is running out of control and I don't know how to over-ride it? or
what? I go to Table / table properties /table options and turn off
automatically resize but that doesn't help. Sometimes Microsoft tries so hard
to help users that Microsoft makes users unproductive!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It won't move if the table already fills the page width between the margins
and if by doing so the table would exceed that page width.

gvm wrote:
Sometimes I place the cursor over the column line in a table, the
cursor changes to a pair of vertical parallel lines, I click in order
to change the width of the column by dragging it, and it doesn't
move! Is it because the autoformat is running out of control and I
don't know how to over-ride it? or what? I go to Table / table
properties /table options and turn off automatically resize but that
doesn't help. Sometimes Microsoft tries so hard to help users that
Microsoft makes users unproductive!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gvm gvm is offline

Thanks Graham, and is this still the case even if you try to lessen the
column width?

gvm wrote:
Sometimes I place the cursor over the column line in a table, the
cursor changes to a pair of vertical parallel lines, I click in order
to change the width of the column by dragging it, and it doesn't
move! Is it because the autoformat is running out of control and I
don't know how to over-ride it? or what? I go to Table / table
properties /table options and turn off automatically resize but that
doesn't help. Sometimes Microsoft tries so hard to help users that
Microsoft makes users unproductive!

why can't I set table column width in word? rjbnlt Tables 1 February 7th 06 06:24 PM
DRAGGING COLUMN WIDTH olstrain Tables 3 January 24th 06 03:27 PM
table column width problems Dena Tables 2 March 8th 05 03:51 AM
Dragging table column resets Sedonakids Tables 0 January 12th 05 01:11 AM
How do I adjust column width in a table? FruitIsBest Tables 1 December 4th 04 10:30 PM