Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fred Goldman Fred Goldman is offline

Default Using Word XP while having installed Word 2007 Beta

When I click on documents with the .doc extension it automatically gets
opened with Word 2007 beta. I would like it to open with Word XP, because I
don't want to use a beta version for my "real" work. I sthere any way to do
this short of uninstalling the beta version?

I've tried already doing Open with... and pointing it to Word XP, but to no
avail (yes I checked "always use this program to open this kind of file).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBHb2xkbWFu?=,

When I click on documents with the .doc extension it automatically gets
opened with Word 2007 beta. I would like it to open with Word XP, because I
don't want to use a beta version for my "real" work. I sthere any way to do
this short of uninstalling the beta version?

I've tried already doing Open with... and pointing it to Word XP, but to no
avail (yes I checked "always use this program to open this kind of file).

Since, oh, version 2000 the Office applications re-register themselves as the
default when they run. So no, there's no way you can permanently set this
without removing the later version.

What I've done on the few machines where I have more than one version is to
create an entry in the Right-click "Send to" menu for the "other" version.
You'll find your personal "Send to" folder under your profile in "Documents
and Settings". Just create a shortcut to the winword.exe for Word 2002 and
rename it so that it's easily recognizable.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fred Goldman Fred Goldman is offline

Are people really using the beda for real work? Is it that stable? Or do
people only use it oon a test machine?

I'll probably just uinstall it. I know it's going to drive me nuts to
right-click every time I want to open a document (especially since I usually
use the keyboard shortcuts).

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBHb2xkbWFu?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I have been using mainly 2007 for real work since November when Beta 1
came out. It was a bit of a challenge back then, but B2TR is rather
stable.
Note though that I do NOT recommend to do this. I have had my fair share
of data loss, crashes, etc etc due to this, but I was willing to deal
with it...

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
:

Are people really using the beda for real work? Is it that stable? Or do
people only use it oon a test machine?

I'll probably just uinstall it. I know it's going to drive me nuts to
right-click every time I want to open a document (especially since I usually
use the keyboard shortcuts).

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBHb2xkbWFu?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBHb2xkbWFu?=,

Are people really using the beda for real work? Is it that stable? Or do
people only use it oon a test machine?

There are people who use it for real work - with proper saving and backup
techniques. Then there are people who don't know any better and think
they're getting a free version of Office, without realizing the
implications of "beta".

I tried using it (on a test machine!) For real work a couple of times, but
it couldn't do what I needed it to do.