Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Josh Robinson

Default 'continuous' section break

I'm trying to divide a document into sections so that I can change the
header every few pages without having to signal a break in the text. I'm
running Word 2003.

I've got as far as working out how to create the new sections,
decoupling the section header from that of the previous section, and
writing the new header. So far so good.

However, when I try to create the section in my document by inserting a
continuous section break, the text following the break jumps onto the
on 'print layout' view and in a print preview it puts it onto a new
page). This happens wherever on a page (or within a paragraph) I create
the break, apparently regardless of what (if any) footnotes are in the
following text.

For what it's worth, the document contains four (I think) paragraph
styles: 1.5 spaced with and without hanging indent, and single spaced
for quotations with 0 or 6pt spacing above; all the text is ranged left.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on and how to fix it?

/Josh
--
Josh Robinson
jmr59 [at] hermes [dot] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz

If your H/F change from one section to the next, the Section Break *cannot*
occur in the middle of a page. That would call for the page containing the
Section Break to have 2 Headers & 2 Footers, which is impossible.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Josh Robinson" wrote in message
I'm trying to divide a document into sections so that I can change the
header every few pages without having to signal a break in the text. I'm
running Word 2003.

I've got as far as working out how to create the new sections, decoupling
the section header from that of the previous section, and writing the new
header. So far so good.

However, when I try to create the section in my document by inserting a
continuous section break, the text following the break jumps onto the next
page (on 'normal' view it tells me it's a continuous section break' on
'print layout' view and in a print preview it puts it onto a new page).
This happens wherever on a page (or within a paragraph) I create the
break, apparently regardless of what (if any) footnotes are in the
following text.

For what it's worth, the document contains four (I think) paragraph
styles: 1.5 spaced with and without hanging indent, and single spaced for
quotations with 0 or 6pt spacing above; all the text is ranged left.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on and how to fix it?

/Josh
--
Josh Robinson
jmr59 [at] hermes [dot] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

It may be that section breaks are unnecessary. If you want your header to
reflect text that is in the document (headings, for example), you might want
to investigate the StyleRef field. See, for example,
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm