Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dwhite Dwhite is offline

Default File in Use - MS Word Document won't release

When I generate a template using MS Word 2003 and save it to my desk top and
close it, I can't then generate another MS Word document using that same
template. It's as if the first document is still open. But, it's not. It's
closed. It's as if the template is still in use. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Under some circumstances, the file IS still open :-)

Sometimes, it's Outlook that is holding it open (Outlook runs a second copy
of Word to edit email).

I suggest the first thing to do is put the template in your User Templates
folder, not on your desktop. Various things may interfere with its
operation if it is on the desktop.

But sometimes, you may have to close both Word and Outlook to force a file
to be released.

Hope this helps

On 10/2/07 7:55 AM, in article
, "Dwhite"
wrote:

When I generate a template using MS Word 2003 and save it to my desk top and
close it, I can't then generate another MS Word document using that same
template. It's as if the first document is still open. But, it's not. It's
closed. It's as if the template is still in use. Please help!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dwhite Dwhite is offline

WOW! Thank you so much for replying. The setting in Outlook was definitely
was causing the problem.

~$ Russ Microsoft Word Help 21 February 5th 08 06:48 PM
Can't open file in Office 2003 Word or Excel from Windows Explorer Larry Frohman Microsoft Word Help 11 November 16th 06 02:55 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM