donna

Default Attaching templates

I am little bit confused here. I am attaching a template to a document for
other people to work on it. I have created a file and gave it to my staff
member to create other files like that. On my computer the attached templates
toolbars appear but on his computer it does not. So should I attach template
from tools-templates and adding- attach or attach it under global templates.
Any help!!

Margaret Aldis

Attaching a template just makes a link from the document to the template
file. If you want that to function on someone else's machine you must give
them the template as well as the file.

If you want the toolbar only to apply to the document, then the attach
method is the right one. Have the rest of the staff put the template into
their user templates folder and Word will find it automatically. (An
alternative is to use a shared Workgroup templates folder, but that isn't
quite the panacea it appears to be at first.)

If you want the toolbar to be available all the time you are using Word,
then loading it as a Global add-in is better. You can have this happen
automatically by putting the template into the Startup folder on each user's
machine.

To find the current locations of these folders, look in Tools Options
File locations.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP