Matt Edwards

Default Using Forms in Microsoft Word to create School Reports

Hi Guys,

I'm new to using Forms in Microsoft Word and have just setup a simple
template to allow staff to create reports. The feedback from staff has
been very positive and they love how simple and easy it is, but I want
to try and make it even easier for them.

This is what I'm trying to do, hopefully somebody can help me.

I have the report form template setup and the document locked, as this
is only one page, I want something so that that when the member of
staff completes a form, a new page inserts with a copy of a blank
template, and keeps doing so until they have completed all reports for
their class

Any thoughts on how this can be done easily?

Regards

Matt Edwards
Charles Kenyon

This will take a macro. I would suggest putting your form layout in AutoText
for easy insertion as a whole. Format the first line of the layout as page
break before. Your macro should unlock the template, disable all form fields
in the document, go to the end of the document, and insert the new (enabled)
form. Finally, it relocks the template without resetting your form fields.
The articles in the forms links below should give you a head start on
writing such a macro. I would suggest having a macrobutton field at the end
of your format to trigger the macro. Give it a name something like "Finalize
this page and add new page." See
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm#MacroButton.

I suppose you could have a separate finalize macro (and macrobutton field)
that simply finalizes the report without adding a page.

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." For more
about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.