Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Default Track Changes/Change bars disappear

I received a document (in Word 2003) with track changes on. When I accept
the changes, the changes are made but the change bars disappear and I need
them. I missed something somewhere. Appreciate any help.
--
Stella Rivera
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:14:01 -0800, Stella Rivera
wrote:

I received a document (in Word 2003) with track changes on. When I accept
the changes, the changes are made but the change bars disappear and I need
them. I missed something somewhere. Appreciate any help.

Unfortunately you haven't missed anything; that's just the way Word works. When
you accept changes, Word doesn't retain any "memory" of where the changes were,
and that includes the change bars.

Instead of accepting changes, you have to go into the Track Changes Options
dialog to set the markup for insertions to "none" and for deletions to "hidden".
That will allow the change bars to remain, while making the markup look the same
as if the changes had been accepted.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mi Tasol Mi Tasol is offline

wrote:
I received a document (in Word 2003) with track changes on. *When I accept
the changes, the changes are made but the change bars disappear and I need
them. *I missed something somewhere. *Appreciate any help.

Unfortunately you haven't missed anything; that's just the way Word works.. When
you accept changes, Word doesn't retain any "memory" of where the changes were,
and that includes the change bars.

Instead of accepting changes, you have to go into the Track Changes Options
dialog to set the markup for insertions to "none" and for deletions to "hidden".
That will allow the change bars to remain, while making the markup look the same
as if the changes had been accepted.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Hi Jay
You have solved half my problem the other half is how do I change the
"changed lines"default line width. The default .5 pt line needs to be
3 point for my work and I cannot see how to fix this other than to
draw a 3 pt line over every change bar that Word generates.
Mi Tasol (means just me when translated)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:
[...]

The width of the built-in change bar cannot be changed. Your proposed workaround
is the only one that will work.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan D. V. Bhanderi Dan D. V. Bhanderi is offline

wrote:
I received a document (in Word 2003) with track changes on. *When I accept
the changes, the changes are made but the change bars disappear and I need
them. *I missed something somewhere. *Appreciate any help.

Unfortunately you haven't missed anything; that's just the way Word works. When
you accept changes, Word doesn't retain any "memory" of where the changes were,
and that includes the change bars.

Instead of accepting changes, you have to go into the Track Changes Options
dialog to set the markup for insertions to "none" and for deletions to "hidden".
That will allow the change bars to remain, while making the markup look the same
as if the changes had been accepted.

I am looking for the exapt same option, to display change bars only,
however, in my settings (ToolsOptionsTrack Changes), there is no option
to hide deletions. There is no mention/control of deletions at all. I only
have Insertions, Formatting, and Color (under the Track Changes options).
There is also no deletions under Balloons, Printing, and Changed Lines.

Did this option not exist in Word 2002? If that is the case, is there no
way to display change bars only, i.e. without the mark-up?

Venligste hilsener / Best regards
dan.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, Word 2002 (the first version to use balloons for markup) in
fact does not permit users to format deletions through the UI. This can,
however, be accomplished with a macro; see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Put_Track_...k_On_Track.htm, which gives
an example macro for showing change bars only.

http://word.mvps.org

ol.auc.dk...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelli Kelli is offline

I have a problem with the change bars. I have deleted txt and the change bar
shows in the left hand margin, but when I click off or move down the page,
the change bar disappears.?????
--
Kelli

wrote:

I received a document (in Word 2003) with track changes on. When I accept
the changes, the changes are made but the change bars disappear and I need
them. I missed something somewhere. Appreciate any help.

Unfortunately you haven't missed anything; that's just the way Word works. When
you accept changes, Word doesn't retain any "memory" of where the changes were,
and that includes the change bars.

Instead of accepting changes, you have to go into the Track Changes Options
dialog to set the markup for insertions to "none" and for deletions to "hidden".
That will allow the change bars to remain, while making the markup look the same
as if the changes had been accepted.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] aaronctaylor1977@gmail.com is offline

Some of my change bars stay and some disappear when I switch between Final Markup and Final. Any ideas?