Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristy

Default inserting documents

I need to merge three different types of documents into one. The first
document is set up with chapter numbering, the second is set up with appendix
numbering, and the third is numbered for foldouts. When I insert them
together they turn into a book that consists of either all chapters or all
appendixes. I believe this is because of the Heading 1 style formatting. Is
there a way to merge the three documents into one document but have all three
of the documents keep their original formatting?
I have tried section breaks, making sure the headings and footers are not
€˜same as previous section but that didnt work.

When I create separate Heading 1 styles; one for chapters, one for
appendixes and one for foldouts the document bodies become corrected, however
the page numbers remain in the chapter formatting; 1-1, 1-2,
1-3,€¦.
I need the Appendix section to have its own unique page numbering: A-1, A-2,
A-3€¦..
And the foldouts: FF-1/(FF-2 Blank), FF-3/(FF-4 Blank), FF-5/(FF-6 Blank)€¦.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S3Jpc3R5?=,

Word provides nine "outline levels", with corresponding heading styles. Use 1 -
3 for your chapters; 4 - 6 for the appendices; 7 - 9 for the fold. Make sure the
number format for 4 and 7 restart at "1" and don't pick up any numbering
information from a previous level.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And for more on this, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

?~same as previous section?T but that didn?Tt work.

When I create separate Heading 1 styles; one for chapters, one for
appendixes and one for foldouts the document bodies become corrected,

however
the page numbers remain in the chapter formatting; 1-1, 1-2,
1-3,?¦.
I need the Appendix section to have its own unique page numbering: A-1,

A-2,
A-3?¦..
And the foldouts: FF-1/(FF-2 Blank), FF-3/(FF-4 Blank), FF-5/(FF-6

Blank)?¦.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kristy

Thanks, I have tried that, however my page numbering doesn't want to work.
When I do autonumbering linking to heading it takes the numbering from the
chapter section or it tells me that no heading can be found when clearly
there is one.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To include a chapter number in the page number you must use Word's built-in
heading styles, and they must be numbered. For more reasons to use the
built-in styles, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

Also see the other two articles I referred you to before.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)