Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter B Peter B is offline

Default How can I import a list of addresses into Avery labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm.

If the addresses aren't formatted properly for a merge source, first
use http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
chipp2shore chipp2shore is offline
Junior Member

Location: St Pete, Florida

Peter,
I'm assumimg that you don't need fields for each line, just a way to get these whole addresses into labels. The easiest way to do this is as follows:
1) If you open the column of addresses set one above the other, then find all the paragraph (Enter) marks and replace them with manual line breaks, you will get rid of all the para. marks.
2) To regain the para. marks where needed, simply do another find and replace. Do a find for two (manual) line breaks, which are to be replaced with one para. mark. Your addresses are now delimited with para. marks.
3) When this is accomplished select all the text and by using 'Convert text to Table' with a para delimiter, the text becomes a single column table of address records, which is ideal for a mail merge document where fields are not required.
4) Just add a cell at the top and type a heading in it such as ADDRESS and voila! You have a table ready for mail merge to labels etc.
Hope this helps, Chris

BTW. Words addresses this in their support website, but it takes a few more steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212335

Scroll down to Method 1 and it will guide you through this process, but his is a little slower than the above method. They have omitted to mention that before step 6 that you need to name and save the file delimited by asterisks.

Now, this will work fine with Word mail merge, but not with the Avery software for Word. That requires the addresses to be set up in a table (or other form of database). So now you have a choice of using the mail merge feature in Word or spending a small amount of additional work setting the delimited addresses up as a table so that you can use the Avery toolbar.

If you wish to make a table from the new document you have saved (delimited by asterisks) Follow these directions for Word 2007/2010:

1) Open Word
2) Start with a blank page
3) Make sure the ‘Insert Database’ button is on your Quick Access Toolbar - Q.A.T. (If not click on down arrow on the Q.A.T. / Go to Customize / More commands / Change from ‘Popular Commands’ to ‘All Commands’ / then select ‘insert database’ and add to Q.A.T.)
4) Once on the QAT, Click on this ‘Insert database’ button
5) Select your document delimited with asterisks and open
6) Field ‘NONE , Record ‘*’
7) Insert data / OK, ALL
8) Click on ‘Table Tools’ button and select white table model on left
9) Your addresses are now in a table ready for the Avery Label software or any other use that requires a table.

For earlier versions of WORD, open the Database Toolbar (which needs to be selected from View / Toolbars). Then open a blank document, click on the icon, ‘Insert Database’ from the Database toolbar/ Click Get Data / find your document set up delimited by asterisks and click OPEN / select the delimiters: Field None / Records *
Insert data /then click OK
Your labels are now in a table. Re-name and save.

Chris

Last edited by chipp2shore : February 9th 12 at 03:39 PM Reason: More info.