ROHMtech ROHMtech is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Word 2003 closes by itself

I have seen this issue 1st hand. While typing Word 2003 closes - sometimes when you hit the print icon. I am told hitting the save icon can cause the issue too. I believe all the files are on a Windows 2003 server. The problem can be intermittant.

We are running Windows XP and Word 2003 with all service packs and updates.

- I have reinstalled Word

- I have replaced the computer with a freshly imaged system.

- I have removed all printers. Created a local queue for the network printer and set that as the default and only printer. (Latest Drivers - hp 4010)

- I have replaced the Normal.dot

- I have created new user profiles.

- I have removed all converters.

- I have removed the Office File Validation add-in

- I have disabled Advanced text services and made sure handwriting and speech recognition was not enabled. Uninstalled options from Office... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326526 (No we did have cfmon running nor are we using terminal servers...)

- I have modified the auto-correct settings including disabling smart tags and saving of smart tags

- with the av - 1st I excluded network files and .doc files and winword.exe and later I have uninstalled the AV software.

- I have opened several suspect files, copied all except the last paragraph marker, created a new doc and pasted the contents. Symptoms came back.

It seems to behave like corrupt files but if I did fix it with the copy paste technique, it came right back. Multiple computers utilizing different files (different network shares) at 2 physical locations. The only changes at the locations was an update to teh AV (ESET) which I have uninstalled while we test. I don't see any other similarities with the 2 facilities.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2003 closes by itself

For more troubleshooting, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us
(How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ROHMtech" wrote in message

[...]

Today we received a couple complaints about Outlook closing in the same manner. I have unchecked the option to use Word a Outlook's email editor. We'll see if that stops the Outlook issue.

I have also tried Word in safe mode. - same issues - nothing disabled when looking at about MS word and clicking teh disabled items button. Same symptoms.

As they are behaving as corrupt files IMHO, I have checked the server for any connectivity issues or errors in the event log. - Nothing in logs. Only seems to involve Word file which is kind of strange if it is a connectivity issue.

I have used the copy and paste technique to repair a corrupt file on a file that has reported the error and have turned off the autosave feature in Word (Unchecked allowing background changes as well as Save Autorecovery info and Embeded smart tags. I cerated new normal.dot files with these changes and resaved the repaired document.

Waiting to hear back for the end users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROHMtech View Post