Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Default Table of Contents Mystery

II have just received a long document which has a table of contents showing
levels 1 and 2.

In the document itself there appear to be three levels at first glance:
Heading I, heading 1.1 and (a). However, in Normal view the (a) paragraph
shows up as heading 2 and heading 1.1 also shows up as heading 2.

If I press enter after 1.1, then as expected, 1.2 appears. If I press enter
after (a), then as expected a (b) appears. Yet they both say heading 2 in
Normal view. When I toggle the field codes in the original TOC, the entries
disappear and a shaded {TOC \F} remains.

There doesnt seem to be a single TOC marking in it and no style separators;
it was not typed manually.

When I try to generate the table of contents by styles, the (a) paragraph
shows up in the TOC as part of level 2, along with every single word in the
paragraph. How did the originator of this document generate a beautiful TOC
without the (a) paragraph showing up in the TOC as part of level 2? Its
driving me crazy!

Thanks, for the millionth time!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly

Hi Island Girl

The \f switch in the TOC field indicates that the TOC is being built from TC
fields.

At Tools Options View, tick the 'Hidden Text' box to display hidden
text. Can you see any TC fields in the document?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Island Girl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Hi, Shauna:

Thanks so much for your reply.
I ticked the "hidden text" box and nothing seemed to change as far as the
view goes. I did discover one thing that I had failed to notice at first in
this very long lease and that is: in addition to the Heading 1 in Normal
view, there also appears in only 4 places a "TC Heading 1"; these places are
at a paragraph mark just before each of 1.3, 2.1, 2.2 and before 9.1. All
of the paragraphs in the document are in Normal.

Could this be some kind of program outside of Word that generates the TOC?

Thanks again, Shauna!

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Thanks for your reply, Suzanne.

The thing that confuses me is that there are absolutely no TC markings such
as {TC "definitions" \f C\1 "1"} in the body of the document and there
appears to be no hidden text.

What I can't seem to get straight is: if the TC has been generated by
styles, how could two different levels in the document be heading 2 and only
one of them show up in the TC. And if not by styles, where are the TC
markings in the body of the document? I'm just not able to grasp the
situation but I will never stop trying.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you'd like to send the document to my email, I'll take a look.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Those are the TC fields Shauna was referring to. They generate TOC

entries.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Thanks again, Suzanne. It would be wonderful if you would take a look. I'm
in the process of changing the wording so I don't get in trouble with the
firm, and will email it to you shortly. Thanks!!!!!!

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I understand the need for discretion, and I wouldn't want you to get in
trouble, but FWIW, I work at home and alone (no one else has access to my
computer), and I never look at the content of documents I'm troubleshooting;
this is not a matter of principle--just that I don't "see" the text as
content when I'm trying to figure out its problems.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Sounds like me. I used to work in the cash office of a department store. I
handled thousands of dollars worth of cash daily but it was never "money".
It was just paper with numbers that had to match another set of numbers.
Funny how the brain works, isn't it?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]