Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default converting TO .docx

Is there a simple, free tool that will convert lots of Word files (in
..rtf format) to .docx? I've found some web-based ones but:

I don't like the idea of submitting files to websites, whether I trust
the websites or not.

There are potentially several thousand of files to be converted, so a
batch processing method is essential.

Any ideas or recommendations?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A macro containing the following code will convert all of the files in the
folder C:\Test

Modify the line of code that contains that folder name to suit where you
have the documents located.

Dim myFile As String
Dim PathToUse As String
Dim myDoc As Document
PathToUse = "C:\Test\"
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
myFile = Dir$(PathToUse & "*.rtf")
While myFile ""
'Open document
Set myDoc = Documents.Open(PathToUse & myFile)
myDoc.SaveAs PathToUse & Left(myDoc.Name, InStr(myDoc.Name, ".")) &
"docx", wdFormatDocumentDefault
myDoc.Close
'Next file in folder
myFile = Dir$()
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Opinicus" wrote in message
Is there a simple, free tool that will convert lots of Word files (in
.rtf format) to .docx? I've found some web-based ones but:

I don't like the idea of submitting files to websites, whether I trust
the websites or not.

There are potentially several thousand of files to be converted, so a
batch processing method is essential.

Any ideas or recommendations?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:31:07 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:

A macro containing the following code will convert all of the files in the
folder C:\Test

Wow! Thanks Doug. Once I got rid of the carriage return after the & it
worked like a charm.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com